If you wish to use Gmail through an Android device, follow the instructions below.
Enable IMAP in your Gmail Settings through Browser
- Sign in to your GaelMail account through my.stmarys-ca.edu.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right corner, then select Settings.
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Select Enable IMAP and Click Save.
Setup for Android
- Open your settings application on your Android phone.
- Navigate to Accounts.
- In the accounts area, tap Add Account.
- Tap Google. Choose Existing.
- Tap on Email when prompted.
- Fill in the following information:
Email Address: your full GaelMail email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Password: your SMC password
Setup for Incoming Mail Server
- Select IMAP Account
- Enter your full email as the username such as email@example.com (This must have the full email address, not just jxs3) and your password again.
- Key in imap.gmail.com for the IMAP server.
- The security should be SSL and the port is 993
- Click Next.
- Key in the Description SMC Gael Mail
- SMTP server is: smtp.gmail.com
- The security should be SSL and the port 465 or 587
- Click Next.
- Give the new account a name and your new Gmail account has now been added to your Android.
Next You will need to turn off some features:
- Click Settings, Google (Or the name of the account you just added.)
- Leave the check boxes next to Sync Calendar, Sync Contacts and Sync Mail. Uncheck all others. Sync Photos, Google Play Books, Magazines, Movies...