When moving in and out of the residence halls, there are several deadlines and procedures that need to be followed. Your R.A. and the Campus Housing Office are dedicated to helping you with these transitions.
When you Check In to your room you will be asked to complete the following procedures:
- Check In Room Condition Report (RCR)
- Student Emergency Card if you have not done so previously
On the RCR you are asked to note your Room Telephone Number. To find your room phone number, follow the phone cord to the wall and the number will be on your wall plate. You can also call your cell phone from your room phone and verify the number.
When you Check Out of your room you will be asked to complete the following procedures:
- Schedule a check out time with your R.A.
- Complete the Check Out Room Condition Report with your R.A.
- Turn in your keys
If you do not check out of the residence hall properly during the scheduled time, you may receive the following minimal charges:
- $25.00 per hour each additional hour until properly checked out
- $50.00 key charge
- $75.00 improper checkout charge
Fall Term Hall Closure:
Move Out- Only residents who do not plan on returning to SMC in the Spring will need to check out of their Fall housing assignment. Those non-returning students must schedule a check out time with their R.A. and complete a Check Out Room Condition Report and turn in the keys with the R.A.
Winter Break Check Out (returning students) - All other students will be asked to follow strict Hall Closure procedures similar to check out.
Before leaving, the last resident of each room/suite must complete the Closing Checklist Form and securely post it to the outside of the door. Failure to complete the Checklist will result in a minimum charge of $25 per resident.
- Remove all trash from the room and common areas
- Remove items from the floor (carpets are cleaned during the break)
- Close and lock all windows
- Close all shades and curtains
- Unplug all electrical devices except refrigerators
- Clean and remove all perishable items from refrigerators
- Turn off all lights
- Turn off the heater(s)
- Make sure all room and suite doors are locked
- Submit any work orders to Facilities Services for any needed maintenance in the room/suite
The locks will be changed at 5:00 pm on December 13th. Please remember to take with you your keys, wallet, medication, plane tickets, plants, etc. The Campus Housing must approve any requests for access to residence halls during the break.
The winter break housing application begins in early November. Current residents wishing to stay over winter break may request to stay in their room by filing out the Winter Housing Request Form online by November 30, 2012. A $100 late fee will be assessed for requests received after the deadline.
Jan Term Residence Hall Check-In:
Students who are checking in to begin classes in the January term will need to report directly to their assigned residence hall the day before the first day of Jan Term classes between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm. Your Resident Advisor will be there with your keys and any necessary paperwork. If you miss the 9:00 am - 12:00 pm time frame, your Resident Advisor will be available that evening during duty hours, 8:30 pm - 11:00 pm.
Spring Term Residence Hall Check-In:
Students who are checking in to begin classes for the Spring Term will need to report directly to the Campus Housing Office on Sunday, February 10, 2013 between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm. You will receive your keys and any necessary paperwork. If you miss the 9:00 am – 12:00 pm time frame, a Resident Advisor will be available that evening during duty hours, 8:30 pm - 11:00 pm.
Spring Term Residence Hall Closure Check Out:
The residence halls are closed for the summer. The last day of occupancy is Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 5:00 pm OR 24 hours after the residents last exam, whichever comes first. Residents participating or assisting at the commencement ceremony must request and be granted permission to remain in the residence hall; additional charges may apply. Requests are submitted by student's respective supervisors. If permission is granted, the last day of occupancy is 12:00 noon Sunday, May 26, 2013.
The College houses students, conference attendees, and other visitors throughout the summer. It is essential that you vacate your room by your move-out deadline so Campus Housing staff has time to prepare it for new residents or visitors.
If Facilities need to clean and repair property in common areas, you and your roommate/s will share the costs equally if we can’t identify the responsible party.
When Checking In and Checking Out of your room we suggest you contact the following:
- Resident Advisor and/or Resident Director to schedule a time to check in or out of the room. Students will complete a Room Condition Report with the RA and also receive or return keys.
- The on campus Post Office to either open or close your P.O. box. This is necessary to avoid additional charges.
- Public Safety to acquire parking permits.
If you have any difficulty, please check with your Resident Advisor for assistance. If your R.A. is unavailable, contact the Campus Housing Office at email@example.com or 925-631-4241.