For housing purposes Saint Mary’s College considers you a First-Year Student if:
- You graduated from high school the previous May/June.
- You graduated from high school prior to the previous May/June, however you have not earned any college credits.
If you have earned college credits you are considered a transfer student and you should review the instructions for transfer students.
To apply for housing all incoming Fall semester First-Year students should:
- Pay the $350 non-refundable Housing Deposit to the Business Office by 4:30 pm on July 1st.
- Complete and return the Residence Hall and Dining Services License to the Campus Housing Office by mail or in person by July 1st.
- Complete the Roommate Preference Questionnaire online (use your SMC login & password found in your welcome packet) by 4:30 pm on July 1st.
Campus Housing will begin making room assignments in July and your room assignment and roommate information will be posted online in early August.
While you are unable to make any changes to your room assignment during the summer, we have a room change process that begins the third week of classes. Students should meet with their Resident Advisor (RA) to discuss their interest in changing rooms.
Freshman Live On-Campus Residency Requirement
All full-time freshman students are required to live on-campus. Students may apply for an exemption to this requirement. Please be advised that, because of the strong foundation that an on-campus experience provides for new students, few exemptions to the live-on requirement will be approved. "Financial concerns" and "distance from home to campus" typically are not reasons for an exemption. Students who anticipate having difficulties with college expenses, including housing costs, should contact the Financial Aid Office (925 631-4370) for determining eligibility for assistance with the cost of attendance. Additional information and the appeal form can be found below.
Click on each of the following links to learn more: