Types of Area Housing
There is a variety of housing options in the LaMorinda (Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda) area available to Saint Mary's College students. As you begin your search for off campus housing, keep in mind the following types of housing and their price estimations.
Apartments are the most common type of rental available to students. In most cases, you will be required to pay the first and last month's rent and a security deposit. Most apartments are unfurnished. Rental costs of apartments will vary depending on location and size.
Single/One Bedroom: $1,500-2,000 per month
Single apartments tend to be higher priced because of their privacy and size. Typically, singles include a separate kitchen and bathroom. (Living room spaces can sometimes be converted into a bedroom to split costs of rent.)
Multiple Bedrooms: $2,100 - $3,500 per month
Rent will depend on size, area and rooms (multiple bathrooms, two or three bedrooms, etc). Typically, multiple bedroom apartments include separate kitchens, bathrooms, and living rooms.
Studio Apartments: $1,500 - $1,300 per month
Studios are typically smaller spaces that only include a living area, kitchen and bathroom, and are meant to be one person occupancies.
Rooms in Private Homes
Rooms in private homes vary in cost, size, style and privileges. Costs will depend on access to kitchen areas, access to private entrances and other amenities like utilities. In lieu of rent, some owners offer rooms in exchange for housework, baby- sitting, or providing transportation. Be sure to discuss use of facilities (including laundry) and expectations with the homeowner prior signing an agreement.
Rooms in Private Homes: $700 - $1,000 per month
Some homeowners rent houses to groups of students. Landlords typically require first and last month's rental fees and a security deposit. (Interested students should be sure that each student living in the household have their name on the lease.) Although renting houses may be more expensive, students can normally enjoy their own kitchen and laundry facilities and have larger living spaces. Be sure to discuss responsibility for costs such as upkeep of premises, utilities and possible homeowner fees.
Rented Houses: $2,950 - $5,500 per person per month
The following are lists of websites and newspapers to assist you in your search. Always be aware of fraudulent offers or listings. The College accepts no responsibility for any actions arising from these listings. The College has not accepted, approved, or disapproved of these facilities nor investigates, endorses, or guarantees the suitability of those responding to any listing.
- Saint Mary's College Off-Campus Housing List (Brickpile Discussion Board)
- Contra Costa Times
- Live Lovely
- San Francisco Chronicle
Safety Tips for Finding Rentals:
- Is the neighborhood well lit at night?
- What sorts of neighbors are in the neighborhood? Helpful Hint: Tell a friend or neighbor when you are out of town to keep an eye on your place.
- If you do not have a parking space, where will you safely park your car?
Safety Questions for the Landlord:
- Have there been any recent crimes (thefts, attacks, etc) in the neighborhood?
- Who patrols the area and how frequently?
- Who has copies to keys for the building? Who has access to the building? Helpful Hint: Use only initials on your mailbox or name listing.
Things to Look For:
- A deadbolt lock at each entry door
- Window locks (Windows should also be accessible in case of emergency)
- Smoke detectors in each room (check the batteries!)
- Fire extinguishers on each floor of the building
- Emergency procedures for the building