Making the transition to college level academics is an exciting challenge for first year students.
Faculty academic advisors are a critical resource for helping students make this transition. At Saint Mary's, first year students are assigned an academic advisor by enrolling in a First Year Academic Cohort (FYAC). FYACs meet during both the fall and spring semesters and students earn a quarter credit (.25) for successfully completing the class.
Learning goals for First Year Advising Cohorts:
- Students will understand the traditions of the college
- Students will learn how to navigate their academic course of study by using the support of their faculty advisor and/or their Peer Academic Coach
- Students will gain an understanding of how to utilize campus resources when appropriate
- Students will engage in on campus activities and/or in a campus club or organization
- Students will explore cultural/academic resources in the surrounding community