To report a bias incident or hate crime, please use the BIRT online reporting form.
BIRT is an institutional priority identified by the College Committee on Inclusive Excellence. Reporting to the Vice Provost of Student Life, BIRT is composed of students, staff, and faculty who have received specialized training in the prevention of and response to bias incidents and hate crimes.
|Evette Castillo Clark||Dean of Students|
|Joan Iva C. Fawcett||Intercultural Center|
|Travis S. Becker||Intercultural Center|
|Peter Chen||Human Resources|
|Victoria Gonzalez||Student Life|
|Megan Karbley||Community Life|
|Sharon Sobotta||Women's Resource Center|
|Adan Tejada||Public Safety|
|Jazmin Guinta||Undergraduate Student|
|Shannon Malone||Undergraduate Student|
|Br. Michael Murphy||Mission & Ministry Center and Christian Brother|
|Jim Sciuto||Associate Dean of Students (Residential Experience and New Student & Family Programs)|
|Dai To||Counseling and Psychological Services|
|Shawnnie White||Graduate Student|
BIRT Core and Subcommittee Responsibilities
Responsibilities of Core Group
- Supervise and manage individual subcommittees to ensure progress and effectiveness.
- Create guidelines outlining membership and participation.
- Identify goals for future growth and development of BIRT and related programming.
- Maintain communication and information sharing among subcommittees.
- Communicate BIRT activity to the Saint Mary’s community.
Responsibilities of Promotion Subcommittee
Create and implement a marketing plan to promote the presence and purpose of BIRT. This plan may include but is not limited to:
- Flyers & posters campaign
- Business cards
- Mini-presentations addressing various campus groups
Responsibilities of Training Subcommittee
Design and execute two training modules: one for the Saint Mary’s community on how to report a bias incident or hate crime and one for new BIRT members on how to respond appropriately to such reports. This subcommittee’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Training materials
- Training schedule
- Logistics for training
- Assessment of training modules and curriculum
Responsibilities of Response Subcommittee
Establish and apply a response protocol to individually address all reports submitted to BIRT. This protocol includes but is not limited to:
- Response flow chart
- BIRT meeting within 24 hours if response is requested
- Saint Mary’s community notification
- Provide or recommend a customized response
- Document and share all reports and responses with the Saint Mary’s community
Responsibilities of Education & Assessment Subcommittee
Evaluate the campus climate around bias incidents, and create as well as facilitate long-term educational initiatives to proactively address these issues. This subcommittee’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Observation of trends and patterns that emerge from BIRT reports
- Development of partnerships to programmatically address recurring issues
- Resource inventory of potential responses and programs