To report a bias incident or hate crime, please use the BIRT online reporting form.
Stop the Hate
Core members of BIRT receive professional training through a three-day program called Stop the Hate. This national program is an educational initiative of Campus Pride and serves as the premiere source of anti-hate educational resources for colleges and universities. Founded by Shane L. Windmeyer, the program was developed in partnership with the Anti-Defamation League, Association of College Unions International, the Southern Poverty Law Center, the Center for the Prevention of Hate Violence, the Matthew Shepard Foundation, Wilbron Institute, and the Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse and Violence Prevention.
Stop the Hate’s Program Objectives
1. to foster a comprehensive approach to and comprehensive perspective on the hate crime problem on college campuses;
2. to encourage dialogue between colleges and universities and from within the campus community to initiate a coordinated national strategy to effect change;
3. to develop a system of delivery and resources specific to colleges and universities on hate crime prevention;
4. to create a national coordinated public awareness campaign to communicate a statement of anti-hate and behaviors/expectations for students, faculty, and staff to share with their campuses;
5. to understand how to manage freedom of speech/First Amendment issues and the skills to manage student concerns, such as Nation of Islam (Farrakhan et al), the New Black Panther Party, the World Church of the Creator, Holocaust Denial Advertisements, and Ex-Gay Reparative Movement;
6. to develop ongoing partnerships with agencies and associations to create effective strategies and educational resources geared toward colleges and universities;
7. to acquire the tools to begin to address bias-related incidents on campus; and
8. to produce a Train the Trainer program that will enhance our ability to actuate change because of its grassroots outreach on college campuses.
BIRT Training for Saint Mary's Community Members . . . Coming Soon!
One of the roles of BIRT is to provide education and awareness for the campus about hate crimes and bias incidents with the goal of preventing such incidents from happening. During the fall and spring semesters, BIRT will offer a three-hour training that addresses Stop the Hate’s most salient points for any Saint Mary’s member interested in learning more about BIRT or joining one of its subcommittees.