80 Years and Counting for Brother Mel and SMC: 2000-2008

By Erin Hallissy and Rich Davi

2001 - men's basketball coach Randy Bennett.

80 Years and Counting for Brother Mel and SMC: 1990-1999

By Erin Hallissy and Rich Davi

1998 - Science professor Judd Case.

80 Years and Counting for Brother Mel and SMC: 1980-1989

By Erin Hallissy and Rich Davi

1988 - Brother Ronald Gallagher.

1980

Bill Oates led the men’s basketball team to an 11–5 WCAC record and second conference regular-season title.

80 Years and Counting for Brother Mel and SMC: 1970-1979

By Erin Hallissy and Rich Davi

1970

Women were admitted for the first time to Saint Mary’s College. They were under the guidance of a new associate dean, Sister Therese Lackey. Brother Mel met his first protest over a basketball game against Brigham Young University, at a time when the Mormon Church denied African Americans the right to priesthood. Football competed at the Division III level. Doc McKillip was named first full-time athletic director.

80 Years and Counting for Brother Mel and SMC: 1960-1969

By Erin Hallissy and Rich Davi

1970 - Women are admitted to Saint Mary's.

1960

The rugby team steadily improved, ending with a 7–5 record, as it became “a sport of high interest,” according to the yearbook.

80 Years and Counting for Brother Mel and SMC: 1950-1959

By Erin Hallissy and Rich Davi

1951 - Brother Mel at the Junior Novitiate at Mont La Salle.

1950

Football was dropped for the second time after the season’s conclusion.

1951

Brother Mel graduated as a philosophy major and was assigned to teach woodworking at the Junior Novitiate at Mont La Salle.

80 Years and Counting for Brother Mel and SMC: 1940-1949

By Erin Hallissy and Rich Davi

1942 - Navy Pre-flight School.

1940

The first Catholic intercollegiate formal dance in the
area was held at the “swanky” San Francisco Country Club; a then all-time high of 14 dances was held during the school year.

80 Years and Counting for Brother Mel and SMC: 1930-1939

By Erin Hallissy and Rich Davi

80 Years and Counting for Brother Mel and SMC: 1920-1929

By Erin Hallissy and Rich Davi

1928 - Dedication Day, August 5.

1928

Harold Fabian (who later took the name Brother Timothy Mel) Anderson was born on Sept. 28 to Edwin Albert Anderson (Swede) and Lillian Frances (Redmond) Anderson (Irish) at Merritt Hospital in Oakland. He had an older brother, Edwin Joseph.

80 Years and Counting

By Erin Hallissy and Rich Davi

Brother Mel Anderson with his first grade class at St. Augustine's in Oakland.

Saint Mary’s Moraga campus and Brother Mel made their debut in 1928. We look back at some noteworthy events in the eight decades of their lives.

Maps & Directories

Mailing Address

Saint Mary's College of California
1928 Saint Mary's Road
Moraga, CA 94575
(925) 631-4000
Google Map | Campus Map | PO Boxes