· Applicants must submit all application materials (Common Application, high school transcript, a letter of recommendation, ACT or SAT scores) on or before January 15, 2016.
· Additional application materials for the English Department Scholarship (see below) must be submitted via email to [email protected] by noon on January 15, 2016.
· Invited applicants must interview on campus February 21, 2016 with faculty from the English department. Overnight accommodations may be available on Friday, February 20th given two weeks’ notice. The college may be able to assist in travel costs to students outside of Northern California; inquire at [email protected] for more information.
· Students may only apply for one departmental scholarship.
· Two letters of recommendation, one to be written by the applicant’s junior or senior year high school English teacher.
· Two essays. One explaining (750 words) why the applicant wishes to major in English; the second (1000-1750 words) analyzing a literary text.
· Applicants may also include an example of their creative writing.
The recipient must major in English and contribute to English Department activities. Such contributions might include assisting with the department website, working on the literary magazine, or helping to organize English Club events.