Are you fascinated by theology? Are you interested in the study of religion? Entering Theology & Religious Studies majors are eligible for a TRS Scholarship! Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit an application (see details below).
Theology & Religious Studies Scholarships
The Department of Theology & Religious Studies at Saint Mary’s College of California is pleased to announce a new scholarship opportunity for incoming first-year students. If you are intending to pursue a major in Theology & Religious Studies, you are encouraged to apply for this merit-based scholarship of $13,000, renewable for three successive years.
The purposes of the Theology & Religious Studies Scholarships are to encourage excellent students to pursue the academic study of theology and/or religion, to support those students committed to that study and to the work of the Department of Theology & Religious Studies, and to acknowledge and reward high academic achievement.
To be eligible for a Theology & Religious Studies Scholarship, a candidate must be admitted to Saint Mary’s College, express an intention of majoring in Theology & Religious Studies, and demonstrate an aptitude for writing and critical thinking.
Review and Selection Procedures:
- Applicants must submit all application materials (Common Application, high school transcript, a letter of recommendation, ACT or SAT scores) by deadline of January 15, 2015.
- Additional application materials for the Theology & Religious Studies Scholarship must be submitted via email to [email protected], or by mail to Admissions Office, c/o Drew Riley, PO Box 4800, Moraga, CA 94575, on or before noon, January 15, 2015. Those additional materials include:
A personal essay of no more than 1000 words total, which responds to the following prompts:
i. Why are you interested in pursuing the academic study of theology and/or religion?
What topics most interest you?
ii. Provide evidence for that interest in the form of personal experience, study, service,
or career expectations.
iii. Describe why Saint Mary’s College would be a good place for you to pursue the
academic study of theology and/or religion.
- Two letters of recommendation that address your intellectual interests in pursuing the study of theology and/or religion, at least one of which should be from an academic professional (e.g., teacher or guidance counselor).
- Students with complete applications must interview on campus February 21, 2015 (Scholarship Saturday), with faculty from their department of interest. (Overnight accommodations may be available on Friday, February 20, provided two weeks’ notice is provided.) The college may be able to assist in travel cost to students outside of Northern California; inquire with Drew Riley at [email protected] for more information.
- Students may only apply for one departmental scholarship (i.e., all new Liberal Arts, and previously existing Performing Arts, and Mathematics scholarships.)
To retain the scholarship, the recipient must be a Theology & Religious Studies major and contribute actively to the work of the Department of Theology & Religious Studies. Such contributions might include organizing events for students or the larger community, engaging in research with the faculty, leading study groups, and/or assisting with the department’s website.
- These are merit scholarships awarded based on determinations of academic and competitive ability, not financial need.
- All scholarships are applied against any demonstrated need first (as determined by the FAFSA) they cannot “stacked” atop need-based Saint Mary’s scholarships once a financial aid award has been mailed.
- Recipients must remain enrolled full time, maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0>, and must major in the respective departments to maintain their departmental scholarships.
- These departmental scholarships may be stacked with other merit scholarships, namely the Gael’s Scholar’s Award, Lasallian Leadership Award, Honors-at-Entrance Scholarship and the Presidential Scholarship. However, an individual may receive no more than three of these merit based institutional scholarships.
- All scholarships are renewable for three successive years provided eligibility requirements and obligations are met.