If I choose to pursue a major in Theology & Religious Studies at Saint Mary's College, what courses will I take?
The major in Theology & Religious Studies consists of a minimum of 10 courses:
Lower Division Course
- TRS 97: The Bible and Its Interpretation
- TRS 189: The Bible and Its Interpretation - Great Themes
Upper Division Courses
- TRS 169: Theory and Method in the Study of Religion
- Five area courses (one class from each of the following areas, chosen in consultation with the chair):
- Christian History
- Contemporary Christian Thought
- World Religions
- Three elective courses (chosen in consultation with the chair)
"Intensive Inquiry" courses (classes numbered 190-196 in the SMC course catalog) are regularly offered in the various areas of study that make up the course offerings of the department. These courses give students the opportunity to engage in the kind of in-depth thinking and research that will best prepare them for graduate work in the field. Students pursuing a TRS major are required to take two "Intensive Inquiry" courses in the process of completing the five area requirements and electives.