- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Institutional Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) examinations
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- EIKEN Test for Japanese students
- ELS Language Centers Level 112
Additionally, students educated in schools where the language of instruction is other than English and/or those for whom English is a second language must demonstrate English, as noted below. Documents establishing financial ability are also required as indicated below.
Exceptions to the English Proficiency Requirement
- First-year applicants who have attended high school in the United States or Canada, or at American schools abroad, may have English proficiency testing waived if they have earned critical reading and writing scores of 450 or higher on the respective sections of the SAT or English sub-scores of 21 or higher on the American College Test (ACT).
- Transfer applicants from U.S. colleges who have successfully completed at least 23 transferable semester credit hours of college-level coursework (none of which is developmental or ESL) , who have completed four years of secondary education and graduated from a U.S. high school(with no ESL coursework), may have the English proficiency testing waived. Transfer applicants from outside the U.S. must meet the requirement stated below.
- Graduate and post baccalaureate applicants who have earned a bachelor or advanced degrees at Saint Mary’s College of California or at recognized colleges or universities in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia and who have continued to reside in countries where English is the primary language of instruction for at least two years prior to submission of the application will not be required to provide English proficiency test scores. Saint Mary’s College of California maintains the right to require English proficiency testing when deemed necessary.
- Students for whom English is a non-native language must demonstrate English proficiency regardless of English language studies, academic history, residence in the United States or an English-speaking country, or immigration status. Approval to expand the tests used to measure English proficiency for admission has been granted by the Provost.
English proficiency may be met with the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Pearson Test of English (PTE), or the Michigan Proficiency Test examinations. Once score reports have been received requests for waivers cannot be considered. Score reports become part of students’ permanent records and can be used for subsequent Saint Mary’s College applications provided that the minimum requirement at that time has been met.
Following submission of English proficiency score reports requests for language proficiency testing waivers will not be considered. Score reports become part of students’ permanent records and will be used for subsequent Saint Mary’s College applications provided that the minimum language proficiency requirement at that time was met. Applicants are able to obtain official English proficiency scores from the testing agency for up to two years from the testing date, though results from within the last six months are recommended for most favorable admissions consideration.
Meeting the English Proficiency Requirement
The chart below outlines Saint Mary’s English proficiency requirements for general admission. TOEFL exams have three different grading scales: the currently administered internet-based test (iBT); a formerly administered computer based test (CBT) still utilized in some countries, and the paper-based test (PBT) often administered as an alternative to the other two tests, typically in locations where necessary technology cannot be secured or is unavailable. The required scores for all three options are listed below:
Undergraduate General Admission TOEFL
*Each subscore on iBT must be 19 or above
IELTS 6.5 Institutional Michigan Test (MELAB) 77% Pearson Test of English (PTE) 53 EIKEN Grade Pre-1 ELS Language Centers Level 112 Passing with 2.75 GPA