Bay Area & Beyond: Day Trips
The attractions of the Bay Area extend beyond the borders of Alameda and Contra Costa counties.
Here's a select list of destinations that are no more than a few hours away by car:
- Lake Tahoe, located on the border of California and Nevada, is famous for skiing and snowboarding, but also offers year-round opportunities for boating, hiking, mountain biking and more.
- Yosemite National Park, the subject of some of Ansel Adams' most recognized photographs, is known for its waterfalls, valleys, meadows and ancient sequoias.
- Big Sur boasts some of the most spectacular natural scenery in North America, ranging from beaches to mountain ridges, and also provides a place to see the migration of California Grey whales.
- The city of Santa Cruz offers a rich history, natural attractions, and unique cultural attractions like the Beach Boardwalk.
- The Napa Valley, Northern California's legendary wine country, presents a culinary and wine tasting experience that may be unmatched in the United States.
- Point Reyes National Seashore you'll discover some of the most breathtaking views of the ocean meeting the land that California has to offer. The area is also home to over 1,000 native species of plants and animals.
- Monterey is home to the legendary Cannery Row and the Monterey Bay Aquarium, as well as a plethora of seafood options and nearby beaches.