Petty Cash

How to get reimbursed in cash for out-of-pocket expenses $50 or less.

Employee reimbursements, including mileage, should be made through the Accounts Payable Department using the Expense Report form (see Expense Reports).  However, in instances where immediate reimbursement is necessary, the Business Office Petty Cash fund may be utilized under the following guidelines:

  • Reimbursement of College related purchases, which do not exceed $50 and involve no more than two receipts, can be obtained from the Cashier during office hours. Requests must be on a Petty Cash Request form with receipt(s) attached, and contain a valid expense code with an authorized signature approval.
  • Petty cash must be picked up by the person to whom the reimbursement is owed. Funds will not  be issued to another individual on their behalf.
  • If there is no alternative for an urgent, same day purchase: Cash may be advanced to an employee on the condition the receipts and unused funds are returned the same day. This will require a completed petty cash slip approved by an authorized signer.
  • Petty cash requests not meeting all of the above requirements will be returned and may be resubmitted once they have been properly completed.

Petty Cash may NOT be used for the payment of services performed for the College.  See Payment for Services or Procedures for Payment of Stipends. Also, Petty Cash may not be used for mileage or per diem reimbursement.

Updated July 2019