Student/Faculty Summer Research Awards
The Faculty/Student Summer Collaborative Research Awards provide recipients the opportunity to work directly with a faculty member on a research project at Saint Mary's for 6 weeks (or the equivalent).
An applicant must:
- be a full-time undergraduate student at Saint Mary's College
- be planning to be a full-time student at Saint Mary’s in the fall semester
- be majoring in a liberal arts or business field
- be a sophomore or junior in good standing
- have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (including major courses), at the end of Jan Term
- obtain the support of a faculty member willing to advise and to collaborate on the project
Up to three awards ($3,300 each) will be granted annually.
Each award will include a $1,500 student research award,
- $600 housing allowance,
- $450 for materials and supplies, and
- $750 faculty stipend.
These awards will support a variety of collaborative activities that may include (but not be limited to):
- research leading to co-authoring of a paper or co-presenting at a conference,
- co-production of translations,
- co-writing, directing, or adapting artistic works, or
- co-curating art exhibitions.
Students must identify and work with a summer research faculty mentor who will guide their work
- Applications must be submitted through eGrants portal by April 1st
- Students need to follow the same guidelines as faculty in using eGrants. See FAQ
- To be added to eGrants, send an email to email@example.com with your:
- Name (first and last)
- Department or Major
- Faculty Advisor for Project (for students)
- Year in School
A complete application includes
- an application form signed by the applicant and advisor,
- a descriptive essay, and
- an advisor’s letter of recommendation.
- Selection will be made by the Office of Faculty Development.
- Selection will be based on
- a) excellence of academic record and qualifications relevant to the specific project, such as courses taken and aptitude for research;
- b) quality of application statements; and
- c) recommendation of faculty advisor.
- Awards will be announced by April 22.
- A payment schedule will be included in the letter of notification.
- Within thirty days of the completion of the project, recipients must submit to eGrant a report, written in collaboration with and signed by their advisor, describing the outcomes of the project. No further awards will be made until this report has been received.
- Recipients of grants should be willing to participate in campus activities explaining their project and the use of grant money (e.g., classroom reporting, campus-wide panel on student research and development, article in the Collegian, student research and development newsletter).
- Any resulting publication or award should include acknowledgement of the grant.