Students will read, write about and discuss a selection of classical, early Christian and medieval texts from the Western tradition.
The reading list is current but subject to modification. From some texts selections are read.
- Langston Hughes, "Theme for English B"
- LeGuin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”
- Genesis 1-11
- Toni Morrison, Lecture and Speech of Acceptance, Award for Nobel Prize
- Spiegelman, Maus
- Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
- Plato, Crito
- Martin Luther King, “Letter from a Birmingham Jail”
- Jefferson, “The Declaration of Independence”
- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics
- Christine de Pisan, The Book of the City of Ladies
- Matthew 5 –7, “Sermon on The Mount”
- Aquinas, Summa TheologicaDante, Inferno
- Momaday, "The Way to Rainy Mountain"
- Aeschylus, Agamemnon
- Homer, The Odyssey
- Terry Tempest Williams, "The Clan of One-Breasted Women