Frequently Asked Questions

I'm interested. How should I proceed?         
  • If you wish to have an admissions information packet mailed to you, please call the Kalmanovitz School of Education (KSOE) at 925-631-4700 or fill out the Information Request.
  • You may apply for the Counseling Department by completing our Online Application.
  • After submitting your application, you will be notified to schedule an admissions interview.
  • Your application must include the following documentation: 



     3) OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS: (1 copy, in sealed envelope) from all colleges attended.  If your bachelor's degree is in-progress, send an unofficial one now; then send the official transcript after your degree is posted.

    4) BACHELOR’S DEGREE: Evidence of completion from a regionally-accredited college.

    5) LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION: 3 are required. In the online application you will be asked to provide the names of the people who are recommending you and their contact information. Once you have supplied that information, the online system contacts them directly, with instructions about how to upload the letters of recommendation.

    6) TUBERCULIN TEST REPORT: A report current within one year is required.

    7) 15 PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES of Counseling Department Student Counselors (read & sign at admissions interview or after).

    8) CALIFORNIA CERTIFICATE OF CLEARANCE: (student needs to have at least paid for the CTC document): Required for all School Counseling & School Psychology applicants. Clearance is mandatory before any PPS School Counseling or School Psychology student enters any practicum or field placement.

    9) HEALTH INSURANCE: Carrying health and accident insurance is a requirement for all students in the Kalmanovitz School of Education.  Please submit a copy of your insurance card.  You will need to sign a waiver if you do not have insurance.

    10) CBEST or alternative options approved by the CCTC: (PPS School Counseling & School Psychology applicants only) Proof of registration for a CBEST testing date. Passing is not required for admission; however, passing all sub-tests is required prior to beginning any practicum or field placement.

What are the application and admissions deadlines?
The Counseling Department has year-round admissions. Those who are accepted to the program may begin their coursework at any of three terms each year: fall semester; spring semester; or summer term (6 weeks). We strongly encourage you to submit your application by the priority deadline, which is generally 90 days before the term in which you want to begin the program. We will continue to accept applications after this date as long as space is available.



All application materials must be received by Sunday, November 1, 2015.


All application materials must be received by Tuesday, March 1, 2016.

FALL 2016

All application materials must be received by Sunday, May 1, 2016.

What about tuition and financial aid?
Tuition for the current academic year can be found on our website through this link.

Financial aid information, including Internet resources and scholarships offered by KSOE, is available online or at our reception desk (2nd floor FAH).  For specific loan information and advice, contact the College’s Financial Aid Office at 925-631-4370.  Additionally there are Financial Aid Webinars held monthly throughout the year, for further information on these webinars please visit the Graduate and Professional Studies Event Calendar to look for and rsvp to the next Financial Aid Webinar.

The Division of Application and Awards for the National Health Service Corps Scholarship may be accepting Scholarship/Loan Repayment applications in spring under the ARRA. The application review process will be on-going until ARRA funds run out. In exchange for 2 years of service at an eligible high-need site, the NHSC Loan Repayment program offers repayment of educational loans for clinicians who are providing full-time clinical services. Up to $50,000 (less if the total outstanding loan balance is lower than $50,000) towards qualifying educational loan debt is available. Clinicians who stay at their sites longer may be eligible to apply for additional years of support.

Is the GRE required?
No, the GRE is not required.

When are classes held?
Almost all Counseling Department courses are held in the late afternoon or evenings on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. Most of the 3-unit courses are held one evening a week, at the 4:15-7:00 pm time slot or at the 7:15-10:00 pm time slot.  A few courses, such as COUN 520 and 521, are held on Saturdays. During the January and Summer Terms, class times vary, depending on the number of units. Almost all classes are held after 4 pm on weeknights and/or on Saturdays.

Where are classes held?
All Counseling Department class sessions are held at the Saint Mary’s College campus in Moraga.  We do not have any online courses or satellite locations.

May I attend the program full-time or part-time?
Students may enroll full- or part-time and can complete the Master of Arts in Counseling in the General, Career Counseling, or College Student Services specializations in a minimum of two years if they attend full-time. For the MFT/PCC, the CSS/PCC, or the School Counseling specializations, allowing three years for  completion is advised. The School Psychology specialization requires three years, full-time.

Is it feasible to work full-time and go to school full-time? 
Many of our students work, either full-time or part-time. We will help you design a Plan of Study that takes into account how much you work, as well as other personal and family responsibilities and activities. We do not recommend that students who work full-time also go to school full-time.