Chair and Program Director Development is coordinated as an ongoing professional development program for academic chairs and program directors.
A needs assessment was conducted to determine what the chairs and program directors most needed to enhance their effectiveness. The role of the faculty fellow has been specifically created to work with the Vice-Provost and Deans to:
- Design and conduct an all-day annual orientation session for new chairs and returning chairs, generally in late August;
- Design and offer four to six ongoing professional development activities (1 1/2 hours each) throughout the year. These have included such topics as Handling Conflict within the Department, Leading the Departmental Meeting, Enhancing the Chairs’ Effectiveness, Fostering Departmental Collegiality, the Chairs’ Role in the R & T Process, etc.;
- Develop and maintain a Resource Guide for chairs, which is updated each summer and is now on the College website. The guide offers information about the chair’s role at SMC, recruitment and hiring faculty, mentoring faculty, dealing with departmental conflict, budgeting, etc.;
- Develop and expand a web-based resource for academic chairs and program directors;
- As needed, conduct interviews to assess professional development needs and to assess the effectiveness of the ongoing program; and
- Propose ways to improve the existing chair development program such as offering a full-year program for new chairs and program directors.
Contact: Rebecca Proehl (School of Education)