Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Your frequently asked questions, answered!

Application Process

Curriculum & Degree Requirements


Housing & Transportation

Don't see your question on the list? Contact us at or (925) 631-8834. We're happy to help!


Who should apply?
Many of our students are coaches and use the degree to advance their careers, but we attract students with all kinds of interests and career goals. Our graduates teach physical education in public and private schools, enter doctoral programs in kinesiology, join the fitness industry, work in parks and recreation departments, and in management positions within the Sport Business industry.

Should I apply if I don't meet all the admission criteria?
Every applicant will be considered. We review each application on its merits and pay particular attention to potential for success, not just traditional measures of past performance. We look for motivated students who want to learn and make a difference in the lives of others.

Do I need to take the GRE (Graduate Record Exam)?
No, the GRE is not required at this time.

When can I start the program?
Students can elect to start the program in the summer or in the fall. We do not offer the option to start in the spring at this time.

When is the application deadline?
We have a rolling admissions policy with a deadline of April 15, 2018 (summer start) and July 1, 2018 (fall start). Applicants interested in pursuing an Incoming Student Scholarship should submit their application materials by March 1, 2018 (summer start) or June 1, 2018 (fall start).

When will I know if I've been accepted?
Your application is not reviewed until your file is complete (with a goal statement, resume, 3 letters of recommendation, and official transcripts). Once your file is complete, your application will be reviewed by the admissions committee and you will be notified via email within 1-2 weeks.

How long will it take to finish the program?
If taking courses full-time, requirements may be completed in 14-months (summer start) or 16-months (fall start). If taking courses part-time, these requirements may be completed between 18 and 26 months.

Can I transfer graduate courses from another institution?
A maximum of 6 units may be transferred. The units must have been completed within the past 5 years and must not have been used as a part of any other awarded degree. They must be graduate level and Kinesiology-related. You must have achieved an A or B grade to transfer a class. Prior approval by the Program Director is required to transfer.

Is there flexibility in the program?
Yes. All students must take five (5), three (3) unit core classes (KINES 300, KINES 305, KINES 320, KINES 330, and KINES 370) and a one (1) unit Colloquium (KINES 380). Students are then able to customize the remainder of the curriculum to their personal and professional goals by choosing from a wide variety of elective courses and internship opportunities. Students meet with the Graduate Program Director in advance of their first term to develop an academic plan that works specifically with their interests and goals, and to establish a specific time to graduation.

Is the Graduate & Professional Student Handbook online?
Yes, click here to access the Handbook.

Is financial aid available?
Yes, please start by reading through the Funding and Scholarship information complied on our website. If you have additional questions, please contact the Financial Aid office via phone (925-631-4370) or email (

Are internships available?
Yes. Many of our students complete internships with local sport agencies. We have excellent relationships with high schools, colleges, and professional sport franchises. To learn more please see our Internship Opportunity Board or email our internship faculty coordinator, Velina Brackebusch.

Are there teaching opportunities for Graduate Kinesiology students?
Yes, eligible Master of Arts in Kinesiology students can apply to teach undergraduate Physcial Education courses.

Is on-campus housing available for graduate students?
There is very limited on-campus housing for graduate students. If you are interested in on-campus housing please contact Kelly Luquet, (925) 631-8834, to learn how to proceed.

How do I find off-campus housing?
The Housing Office has some great tips and useful tools to help you find off-campus housing near Saint Mary's on their website.

How often will I need to come to campus for classes?
During the summer term classes are held from 8:00 AM through 12:30 PM Monday through Thursday for five weeks. Students are required to be on campus all four days each week. During the fall and spring terms classes are offered during the evening, 4:45 PM - 7:45 PM, and most only meet one day a week or every other week. Most students take two classes and are on campus at least one or two days per week for thirteen weeks.

Is public transportation available if I have to commute?
Yes. There is a Country Connection bus that runs throughout the day and a special Gael Rail bus that runs later into the evening to and from the Lafayette and Orinda BART stations. Click here to learn more and plan your route.