Higher Education & Student Affairs (HESA)

Higher Education & Student Affairs (HESA)

College students are ready to set the world on fire, and you can help ignite that flame. An MA in Counseling, with a specialization in Higher Education and Student Affairs, provides the knowledge and training to support and guide students in choosing the right career path and educational program.



What courses will you take?

The 40 units of core courses, plus 18 units (below), for a minimum of 58 units:

  • COUN 704: Foundations of Higher Education and Student Services (Pre/coreqs: COUN 604 & 600) (3 units)
  • COUN 713: Psychological Perspectives of Gender (2 units): Introduction to psychology of gender, with emphasis on psycho-social effects of genderization of women and men from an ecosystemic, multicultural, and feminist perspective. Attention is paid to gender-specific issues pertinent to mental health and well-being.
  • COUN 714: Social Justice in Higher Education: Theory, Practice and Research (3 units)
  • COUN 761: Addictions, Dual-Diagnoses and Recovery-Oriented Treatment (1 unit)
  • COUN 794: Counseling Field Experience (1-3 units each term; 6 units total): Students are engaged in fieldwork in clinical, school or college settings appropriate to department specialization(s) and career objectives. Weekly seminars held for specific specializations. Supervision provided by Counseling Department campus supervisors and department-approved field supervisors.


Cohort plans of study