Higher Education and Student Affairs

Help college students succeed.

College students are ready to set the world on fire, and you can help ignite that flame. A Master of Arts (MA) in Counseling, with a specialization in Higher Education and Student Affairs, provides the knowledge and training to support and guide students in choosing the right career path and educational program.


What courses will you take?

The 40 units of core courses, plus 18 units (below), for a minimum of 58 units:


  • COUN 242: Foundations of Higher Education and Student Services (Pre/coreqs: COUN 230 & 500) (3 units)
  • COUN 239: Psychological Perspectives of Gender (2 units)
  • COUN 243: Social Justice in Higher Education: Theory, Practice and Research (3 units)
  • COUN 245: Psychopathology (3 units)
  • COUN 308: Addictions, Dual-Diagnoses and Recovery-Oriented Treatment (1 unit)
  • COUN 530: Counseling Field Experience (6 units)


Cohort plans of study