Membership & Structure
We of Saint Mary’s College of California are dedicated to treating all people with dignity and respect in ways that acknowledge and engage diverse backgrounds and ideas. Our policies, practices and behaviors foster a safe and inclusive community and promote learning that is equitable, collaborative, and inspired by the presence of God in and among us.
- Articulate and promote the educational imperative for inclusive excellence;
- Advise and review the development of institutional, unit, and school diversity and inclusion goals;
- Develop and support strategies that improve the recruitment and retention of underrepresented students, staff, and faculty;
- Sponsor and coordinate opportunities for the development of cultural competence; and,
- Support initiatives that advance the knowledge, practice, and recognition of inclusive excellence.
- One faculty member from the Committee and the Provost (co-chairs)
- Vice President for College Communications
- Vice President for Mission
- Vice Provost for Student Life
- Staff Council representative (chair, past chair, or chair elect)
- Academic Senate representative (chair, past chair, or chair elect)
- Dean of Students
- Dean of Admissions
- Director of Athletics
- Director of High Potential Program
- Director of Human Resources
- Director of Institutional Research
- Director of Intercultural Center
- Faculty member, School of Economics and Business Administration
- Faculty member, Kalmanovitz School of Education
- Faculty member, School of Liberal Arts
- Faculty member, School of Science
- Graduate and Professional Studies student representative
- Undergraduate student representatives (3)
- Office of Academic Advising and Achievement representative
- One Christian Brother from the Saint Mary’s Community
- One Christian Brother from the Alemany Community
- One at-large faculty representative
- One non-exempt staff representative
Terms of Membership
- The term of membership on the CCIE for those serving as representatives of a designated group (and not those there by virtue of their position) is expected to be three years.
- Faculty members of the CCIE shall be selected by the Provost in consultation with the Deans of each school and the Chair of the Academic Senate.
- The non-exempt staff member of the CCIE shall be selected by the Chair of the Staff Council in consultation with the Director of Human Resources.
- Undergraduate student representatives shall be expected to serve one-year terms and will be selected by the Vice Provost of Student Life in consultation with the president of the associated student body. At least one representative should hold an elected position, with the other representatives serving at large.
- The graduate student representative will serve for one year and be selected by the Provost in consultation with the Chair of the Graduate Council.
- The Provost will serve as co-chair of the CCIE along with a faculty co-chair.
- The faculty co-chair will be appointed by the Provost in the spring for the next academic year. The co-chair is expected to serve at least two years.
- The faculty co-chair will receive two course reassignments per year for this service.
- Two other officers will be appointed by the Provost in consultation with the CCIE – treasurer and secretary. These two officers will serve on the executive committee. The treasurer will chair the Program and Budget committee; and the secretary will be responsible for CCIE notes. These will be one year, renewable appointments.
- Executive Committee: (co-chairs, treasurer, secretary; set agenda and advance policies, such as Intolerance Protocols). Chair: Faculty Co-chair.
- Training, Development, and Assessment: (Campus of Difference, ODMI planning, CCIE development, needs and effectiveness assessment of programs. Could include curriculum development workshops and resources). Chair: Appointed by the Provost.
- Program and Budget (grant awarding, program review, sponsorship and planning). Chair: Treasurer.
- Communication and Community (outreach, inclusive excellence partners, proposal and scheduling of guests, discussion guidelines/talking points, logo). Chair: Vice President for College Communication.
- Student Life: (orientation, residence hall curriculum, student policies, student leadership training). Chair: Vice Provost for Student Life.
Membership of the committees will be based primarily on alignment with institutional areas of responsibility. Each committee will be expected to meet between scheduled CCIE meetings and to report to the whole CCIE.
There will be two advisory committees that meet regularly in order to make recommendations to the CCIE on issues relevant to faculty, staff, and students. The Student Advisory Committee and the Faculty/Staff Advisory Committee will each have a liaison from the CCIE as a member in order to facilitate communication between the CCIE and the advisory committees.