Undergraduate and Graduate Student Research

Are you a graduate or undergraduate SMC student interested in conducting research? More information about the process will be explained below.

Graduate and undergraduate students often have no experience preparing research protocols for submission to the Institutional Review Board. This lack of experience can lead to multiple protocol revisions, significant delays in the review and approval process, and a shift in the mentoring role to the IRB staff. Therefore, all student researchers must have a faculty advisor. For more information on the role of the faculty advisor and more details about special considerations for student research (including course assignments), click on the links below:

Student Research with Human Subjects

Role of the Faculty Advisor

If you are an SMC graduate or undergraduate student and are interested in conducting research that is not exempt and does not involve the analysis of data that already exist, use this link to access the proper form:

Form for Non-Exempt Research for Students (Word Doc.)