Here you will find the Jan Term 2017 course proposal forms and guidelines for submission.
Please note that we have different submission periods for Travel and On-Campus courses:
- On-Campus course proposals for Jan Term 2017 must be submitted in March 2016.
- Travel course proposals for Jan Term 2018 must be submitted in November 2016.
Travel course proposals are reviewed by the January Term Committee in December and January, and On-Campus course proposals are reviewed April and May. The lead-time for curriculum development and for production of our course catalog is long. Hence, there will be NO exceptions to the following guidelines:
- Proposals must be submitted within each course type's open submission period.
- Proposals must be SUBMITTED ONLINE - Click here to access the proposal form.
- If you taught a course in Jan Term 2016 and we do not have a syllabus on file, we will postpone review of your 2017 proposal until we receive your 2016 syllabus.
- As you create your proposal, make special note of the criteria for distinguishing between upper and lower division courses. Course proposals which do not supply a rationale for upper division status will be classified as lower division.
- We hope that faculty teaching lower division on-campus courses will continue the practice of reserving at least five places for freshmen. That practice has significantly reduced the complaints of freshmen.
- If you do not currently teach at SMC and wish to submit a course proposal, you must upload a current curriculum vita with your proposal. This vita should feature previous courses taught, and include both number and title.
- If you have problems or questions, please call the Jan Term Office at (925) 631-4245 or e-mail us at: [email protected].
Before you submit your 2017 January Term Course Proposal Form, we request that you review the following information:
- Jan Term Goals and Philosophy
- Guidelines for January Term Courses
- Guidelines for SMC Staff proposers
- Team-Teaching Protcol
- Co-Curricular Activities
- Course Fees
- Criteria for Travel Course Selection
- SMC Travel Risk Assessment Committee (TRAC)
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
Director of the January Term