Travel Registration Process
1) SUMMARY OF TRAVEL REGISTRATION PROCESS
Jan Term Travel course registration is online via GaelXpress.
The registration period is Thursday, 9/22:
- Seniors: Thursday, 9/22, 6-8am
- Juniors: Thursday, 9/22, 1-3pm
- Sophomores: Thursday, 9/22, 4-6pm
- Freshmen: Thursday, 9/22, 6-8pm (Domestic courses only; freshmen are not eligible for international Jan Term travel courses)
In order to enroll in a Travel course, the following steps are mandatory:
- Attend a Travel course’s pre-registration informational meeting. Here's the September info meetings schedule. All Travel courses hold at least three meetings in the first three weeks of September.
- Submit to the instructor a Course Permission Form at one of their informational meetings (note: approvals are granted by the instructor based on criteria which may vary among courses).
- Submit signed Instructor Permission Forms for all courses in which you are interested to the Registrar’s Office no later than Monday, 9/19.
- Pay a deposit of 50% of the course fee (either via GaelXpress or in person) no later than 4:00 PM on Monday, 9/19 AND immediately submit the online Jan Term Travel Deposit Notification Form which notifies the Business Office that this payment is for a particular Jan Term Travel course.
- AN IMPORTANT NOTE: If you wish to be able to register for another Travel course in case your first choice is full, you must pay the 50% deposit on the most expensive course that you are interested in, in addition to gathering Instructor Permissions for those courses.
2) SUMMARY OF POST-REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF ENROLLED TRAVEL STUDENTS:
PASSPORTS AND VISAS
If you do have a passport, it must be valid through Auguest 2017. If not, or if your passport expires prior to August 2017, it is extremely important that you acquire or renew your passport in EARLY 2016, as the US State Department is predicting year-long backlogs of applications. If you do not have a passport, get one RIGHT NOW. If you don't have your passport by November 1st, your eligibility to travel may be compromised. (This is primarily due to the need to supply international airlines with passport numbers of all passengers.)
The Jan Term Program does not coordinate acquisition of travel visas. If a travel visa is needed for your destination, you will need to get one yourself. (Your instructors will be able to assist you through the process.)
If you are a non-US citizen, you may need an additional travel visa.
All course fee balances must be paid in full by November 2nd. No exceptions.
ZERO BALANCE REQUIRED
Students must have a zero balance in their student account in order to deposit for Jan Term Travel courses. Any student whose financial aid is still pending on 9/19 must receive clearance/verification from the Financial Aid office in order to deposit.
FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION
If you intend to use financial aid to help fund your Jan Term Travel course fee, go to Financial Aid Office immediately to apply for additional Fall funds. Again, Travel course fees must be paid in full by November 2nd. (This date is prior to Spring financial aid disbursement.)
Students must be in good disciplinary standing in order to participate in a Travel course; screening will take place the week following registration. Ineligible students will be refunded.
FALL 2016 POST-REGISTRATION CLASS MEETINGS
Most Travel courses hold mandatory post-registration Fall meetings; make sure you can attend these meetings before enrolling. Ask the instructor if these meetings aren't yet listed in the online catalog.
DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE; REFUNDS ONLY BY PETITION
Jan Term Travel deposits are non-refundable once a student is enrolled in a Jan Term Travel course, and students are responsible for the full cost of the course once they are enrolled. In other words: once enrolled, a student is obliged to pay the full course fee and may not drop the course without losing the full course fee.
However, if a student withdraws from a Travel course due to an emergency, the student may petition for a partial refund. Petitions must be done in writing and submitted to the Business Office. Refund petitions under these circumstances will be considered only after all expenses related to the course have been paid (i.e., in February 2017).
JAN TERM TRAVEL COURSES MUST BE TAKEN FOR CREDIT
Jan Term Travel courses are designed for currently enrolled students as a graduation requirement, and are not allowed for students on a “not for credit” basis.
Pass/Fail is not an option for Travel courses.