The Kalmanovitz School of Education at Saint Mary's College is celebrating over 40 years of service to the community.

The Lasallian tradition established by Saint John Baptist De La Salle, founder of the Christian Brothers, provides the basis of our programs. All graduates are expected to be as committed to issues of values and concern for others as they are to academic excellence and professional competence.

Following are selected milestones in the history of the Kalmanovitz School of Education:

1967

The Department of Education was founded at Saint Mary’s College

1969

Secondary Teacher Education Program began.

1971

Elementary Education Program was founded.

1975

First Master’s Degree Program began in Early Childhood Education.

1976

Master’s Degree in Special Education began.
Educational Leadership Program for school administrators was introduced.
Montessori Preprimary Certificate Program was initiated.

1978

Master’s Degree Programs in Reading and Counseling were begun.

1986

The Department of Education became the School of Education.

1991

All programs in the School of Education were given full approval with commendation by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).

1993

Saint Mary’s was named the Northern California Regional Center for Reading Recovery

1995

Certificate programs in Teaching English-as-a-Second-Language (TESL) was introduced.

1999

School of Education establishes College’s first doctoral program, Ed.D. in Educational Leadership

2006

Groundbreaking for the Filippi Academic Hall to house the new Kalmanovitz School of Education

2008

Opening of the Kalmanovitz School of Education in Filippi Academic Hall

Maps & Directories

Mailing Address

Saint Mary's College of California
1928 Saint Mary's Road
Moraga, CA 94575
(925) 631-4000
Google Map | Campus Map | PO Boxes