Post-Master's, School Psychology PPS Credential-Only

Eligibility, admissions, and more!


To become a School Psychologist in PreK-12 California public schools, you must have a School Psychology Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC). Credentials are awarded through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). 

The Counseling Department at Saint Mary’s prepares PPSC students to become professional, empathic, well-rounded School Psychologists through best-practice academics and field experience. Our counseling framework emphasizes cultural competency and social justice, which is reflected in the College's Lasallian Core Principles and the Department’s Student Learning Outcomes. In keeping with CCTC requirements, our program gives primary emphasis in helping public school pupils achieve academic success by emphasizing the importance of student support services.

Each student receives an individualized plan of study within a cohort model, wraparound supervision and support both on-campus and in the field, and attend intentionally small classes for an in-depth experience. Saint Mary’s PPSC graduates enter schools with the self-confidence and skills to be advocates for their students, parents, teachers, and greater community.



To be eligible for the School Psychology PPS Credential-Only, applicants must already hold a clinically-based master's degree - such as counseling, social work, clinical psychology, or a closely related field - from a regionally accredited university. 

To confirm your eligibility for this program, email Jill Nelson at Please include:

  • Your first and last name
  • The term and year you wish to begin
  • Your master's degree
  • The institution your degree was awarded from
  • Specify that you are interested in the Post-Master's, School Psychology PPS Credential-Only

If you earned your master's at a university outside of the United States, you must first complete a foreign transcript evaluation by a CCTC-approved company. This process will determine course and degree equivalency necessary to confirm eligibility.

If you do not meet the eligibility requirements for this program, but still wish to become a School Psychologist, you may apply to the full master's program and specialize in School Psychology - which includes the School Psychology PPSC!



Once your eligibility is confirmed, you may begin your application and reference our admissions checklist and application deadlines and requirements to ensure it is completed thoroughly. 

If you have not been working in the field since earning a master’s degree, then you must take the Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Examination (CPCE) to verify currency before a plan of study is created. 



After your application is processed, you will be contacted to schedule a group interview. If your graduate GPA is below 2.8, a second, individual interview is also required.



Once you have been admitted into the School Psychology PPS Credential-Only Program, you will meet with a faculty advisor to create your individualized plan of study. Most students will earn their credential in 2 years.

You will need to supply your master's degree transcript, course syllabi, and course catalogs, for evaluation to determine which of your master's courses are transferrable. To fulfill the College's residency requirement, at least 35.5 units must be completed within the PPSC Program. A maximum of 9 units (3 full unit classes) can be transferred in and 26.5 additional units may be challenged. Professional experience is also taken into consideration for course challenges and will be discussed with the faculty advisor when creating your plan of study.

Courses acceptable for transfer credit must have been taken within the last five years. Coursework may be acceptable beyond five years if you are able to display current experience and knowledge or by taking the Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Examination (CPCE).

You may reference our general School Psychology plan of study to compare to your graduate transcript and see which courses you may want to challenge, transfer, or still need to take.


Required Courses & Field Experience:

All credential students must take School Psychology Fieldwork Supervision and Seminar (COUN 540) while completing their 450 hours of fieldwork experience and School Psychology Internship Supervision and Seminar (COUN 541) while completing their 1200 hours of internship experience.

Students must also audiotape several counseling sessions with pupils at their school sites during their year of 450 hour fieldwork placement, complete assignments in conjunction with the recorded sessions, and meet with a Saint Mary's counseling skills supervisor for review of these tapes and assignments.

All School Psychology credential students who did not complete a thesis for their master's degree, must complete a thesis while in the credential program. The thesis is an original research study in which students have an opportunity to empirically explore an area relevant to one's work as a school psychologist. The research study may be quantitative or qualitative, experimental, descriptive, or action research. Students are supported in this process with coursework that complements drafting the thesis proposal and finish the thesis with a faculty chair.


Program Details:

  • Tuition & Fees and Financial Aid pages have the most up to date information regarding costs and aid 
  • All classes are held on campus. Fall and Spring semester courses are Monday - Thursday evenings, and Saturdays. Due to January and Summer terms being truncated, class days and times may vary
  • Prior to beginning fieldwork experience, students must:
  • Prior to beginning a paid internship experience, students must:
    • Apply for a CCTC Intern Credential 
    • Pay the application processing fee
  • Visit the CCTC PPS Program Standards Handbook for more details regarding program standards and field requirements



If you have further questions, please contact:

Jill Nelson, MSW, PPSC
Admissions and PPSC Field Placement Coordinator