Post-Master's, School Psychology PPS

Eligibility, admissions, and more!


To become a School Psychologist in PreK-12 California public schools, you must have a School Psychology Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC). Credentials are awarded through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). 

The Counseling Department at Saint Mary’s prepares PPSC students to become professional, empathic, well-rounded School Psychologists through best-practice academics and field experience. Our counseling framework emphasizes cultural competency and social justice, which is reflected in the College's Lasallian Core Principles and the Department’s Student Learning Outcomes. In keeping with CCTC requirements, our program gives primary emphasis in helping public school pupils achieve academic success by emphasizing the importance of student support services.

Each student receives an individualized plan of study within a cohort model, wraparound supervision and support both on-campus and in the field, and attend intentionally small classes for an in-depth experience. Saint Mary’s PPSC graduates enter schools with the self-confidence and skills to be advocates for their students, parents, teachers, and greater community.

School Psychologists are eligible to become Licensed Education Psychologists (LEPs) through the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) after completing 2 years of full-time work as a credentialed School Psychologist. LEPs’ scope of practice includes providing diagnoses of psychological disorders related to academic learning processes; providing psychological counseling for individuals, groups and families; developing treatment programs and strategies to address problems of adjustment; coordinating intervention strategies for management of individual crises; and consulting with other educators and parents on issues of social development and behavioral and academic difficulties (California Board of Behavioral Sciences, 2011). 



To be eligible for the School Psychology PPS Credential-Only, applicants must already hold a clinically-based master's degree from a regionally accredited university. For a degree to be clinically-based, you must have had specific coursework in counseling skills and fieldwork hours supervised by a licensed or credentialed supervisor. Common qualifying degrees include Counseling, Social Work, or Clinical Psychology. 

While the following master's degrees are certainly relevant, they do not include counseling skills or fieldwork components, therefore do not qualify for the credential-only program: General Psychology that is research focused, Education, Special Education, Applied Behavior Analysis. However, if you have one of these degrees, you are encouraged to apply to our full master's program, specialize in School Psychology (which includes the credential), and you will likely be able to transfer and challenge several courses.

To confirm your eligibility for this program, email KSOE Admissions at Please include:

  • Your first and last name
  • The term and year you wish to begin
  • Your master's degree
  • The institution your degree was awarded from
  • The year your degree was awarded
  • Specify that you are interested in the Post-Master's, School Psychology PPS Credential-Only

If you earned your master's at a university outside of the United States, you must first complete a foreign transcript evaluation by a CCTC-approved company. This process will determine course and degree equivalency necessary to confirm eligibility.

Again, if you do not meet the eligibility requirements for this program, but still wish to become a School Psychologist, you may apply to the full master's program and specialize in School Psychology - which includes the School Psychology PPS Credential!



Once your eligibility is confirmed, you may begin your application and reference our admissions checklist and application deadlines and requirements to ensure it is completed thoroughly. 

If you have not been working in the field since earning a master’s degree, then you must take the National Counselor Examination (NCE) to verify currency before a plan of study is created. 



After your application is processed, you will be contacted to schedule a group interview. If your graduate GPA is below 2.8, a second, individual interview is also required.



Once you have been admitted into the School Psychology PPS Credential-Only Program, you will pay a $200 transcript evaluation fee and a faculty advisor will create your individualized plan of study. Most students will earn their credential in 2 years.

You will need to supply your master's degree transcript, course syllabi, and course catalogs, for evaluation to determine which of your master's courses are transferrable. To fulfill the College's residency requirement, at least 34 units must be completed within the PPSC Program. A maximum of 9 units (3 full unit classes) can be transferred in and 25 additional units may be challenged. Professional experience is also taken into consideration for course challenges and will be discussed with the faculty advisor when creating your plan of study.

Courses acceptable for transfer credit must have been taken within the last five years. Coursework may be acceptable beyond five years if you are able to display current experience and knowledge or by taking the National Counselor Examination (NCE).

You may reference our general School Psychology plan of study to compare to your graduate transcript and see which courses you may want to challenge, transfer, or still need to take.


Required Courses & Field Experience:

Per the CCTC, previously earned field experience hours may not count towards the required 1,650 total SP PPSC hours. Therefore, all credential students must take School Psychology Fieldwork Supervision and Seminar (COUN 540) while completing their 450 hours of fieldwork experience and School Psychology Internship Supervision and Seminar (COUN 541) while completing their 1,200 hours of paid internship experience.

Students must also audiotape several counseling sessions with pupils at their school sites during their year of 450 hour fieldwork placement, complete assignments in conjunction with the recorded sessions, and meet with a Saint Mary's counseling skills supervisor for review of these tapes and assignments.

All School Psychology credential students must pass the School Psychology Praxis Exam (SPPE) in their final year, prior to graduation. Students then submit a portfolio to the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) to apply for the National Certification in School Psychology (NCSP), which allows for credential mobility across states.

The Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) program in School Counseling has been approved by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) to offer an Intern Program for candidates who are entering their field placement and who wish to seek a paid internship in a K-12 school district.

Program Details:

  • Tuition & Fees and Financial Aid pages have the most up to date resources regarding costs and aid 
  • All classes are held on campus. Fall and Spring semester courses meet once a week Monday - Thursday in the late afternoon/evenings, and alternating Saturdays. Due to January and Summer terms being truncated, class frequency, days, and times may vary
  • Prior to beginning field experience, students must:
  • Visit the CCTC PPS Program Standards Handbook for more details regarding program standards and field requirements



If you have further questions, please contact:

KSOE Admissions