Marriage & Family Therapy/Professional Clinical Counselor

Build stronger families.

Today’s families face many stresses and challenges inside and outside the home. A Master of Arts (MA) in Counseling, with a specialization in Marriage & Family Therapy/Professional Clinical Counselor, gives you the skills, knowledge, and training to help make a positive difference in the lives of couples, parents and children.

This degree specialization provides the educational requirements necessary to pursue a MFT and/or PCC internship upon graduation. After completing the required clinical experience, you can apply for California's Board of Behavioral Science MFT and/or PCC license exams.


What courses will you take?

The 40 units of core courses, plus 28 units (below), for a minimum of 68 units:

  • COUN 245: Psychopathology (3 units)
  • COUN 247: Theory and Practice of Counseling Couples (2 units)
  • COUN 250: Family Systems, Theories and Applications (3 units)
  • COUN 251: Treatment of Children (3 units)
  • COUN 252: Advanced Clinical Practice (3 units)
  • COUN 255: Community Mental Health and Trauma Interventions (3 units)
  • COUN 308: Addictions, Co-Occurring Disorders, and Recovery-Oriented Treatment (1 unit)
  • COUN 566: Counseling Older Adults and Their Families (1 unit)
  • COUN 314: Psychopharmacology for MFT/PCC (3 units)
  • COUN 530: Counseling Field Experience (6 units)


Cohort plans of study