Ghana Study Abroad
Located in the scenic coastal village of Kopeyia, the Dagbe Institute’s rigorous instruction and authentic natural surroundings make for an experience unlike any other. In addition to taking intensive classes with local artists, LEAP students will have the opportunity to visit open-air markets, observe and take part in traditional village ceremonies, and interact with local residents.
In the capital city of Accra, the group will visit a drum maker’s workshop and be treated to a private performance and master class at the National Theatre with the acclaimed Ghana National Dance Ensemble.
The group also visits Ghana’s unique cultural heritage sites, including The Centre for National Culture, Kwame Nkrumah Memorial, and more.
ThisWorldMusic's UMass-accredited Ghana program is open to the general public. For LEAP students, the Ghana Study Abroad program meets the Senior Project requirement and/or a LEAP Elective.
Ghana Study Abroad courses are offered in winter, typically in January, and in summer. Upcoming course dates are as follows:
December 28th, 2016 to January 8th, 2017
Course itinerary to include:
- traditional dancing, drumming, singing, and craft making in the culturally vibrant village of Kopeyia
- participation in and observation of local festivals, ceremonies, and community celebrations
- exclusive tour of a master drum maker's workshop
- private performance and masterclass at the National Theatre with the world-renowned Ghana National Dance Ensemble
- lodging at the scenic Afia Beach Hotel in the capital city of Accra
- shopping at the Centre for National Culture, the largest outdoor crafts market in West Africa
- sampling of local Ghanaian cuisine
Current LEAP students should contact their academic advisor for more information.