The Library and Learning Commons will give students access to all of the services, resources, and tools they need to be academically successful. It will further enhance student success by providing services and spaces that attract faculty to work – and relax – in the building, thus creating an opportunity for informal faculty/student interactions. In addition, it will include attractive spaces designed for campus and broader community events.
Saint Mary’s students require different study and creation spaces and support services during the course of their academic careers and as they move into their major areas of concentration. At times a student will need quiet, contemplative space and access to the works of the world’s best thinkers and writers. There will be other times when a student may need support services such as help researching or writing a term paper or coaching in sophisticated tools to model and analyze data. And, as we broaden our definitions of learning and knowledge, students will need “creation” spaces with cutting edge technology that enables them to build new knowledge—often through group collaboration and often across physical and political boundaries.
The new Saint Mary’s College Library & Learning Commons will support the broad and changing academic needs of twenty-first century students. Specific facilities will include:
- Increase in student seating from 240 current seats to over 700 divided amongst quiet study space, social study space and group collaborative spaces
- Increase in student study rooms from 3 to 18
- Fully equipped classrooms for student participatory learning
- Better integration of student academic support functions and services
- A great reading room for study, contemplation, and special academic events
- Modern Archives and Special Collections area with climate and security controls
- Expanded display areas for student work, art and campus activities.
- Courtyard designed for outdoor studying and intimate performances
- Welcoming spaces for students and faculty to read, think, reflect, and converse together.