Click the blue banners below to view and search for Library resources.
Discover articles from many of our databases.
OR Click All Databases to search Biological Abstracts, Medline, and Science Citation Index
Article Publisher Databases
Provides access to publications from the Nature Publishing Group in different subject areas,...
Reference Encyclopedia and Handbook Databases
Encyclopedias and Handbooks
- Complete dictionary of Scientific Biography; Endangered species: protecting biodiversity; Genetics
- A dictionary of biology; Encyclopedia of evolution.
- NCBI Databases includes: Nucleotide and Protein Sequences; Protein Structures; Complete Genomes; Taxonomy
Protein, Enzyme, Carbohydrate & Lipids Databases
- Protein Database. Sequences from GenBank, PDB and other databases.
- RCSB Protein Databank. Protein structures from Research Collaborative for Structural Bioinformatics PDB.
- UniProt. Swiss suite of Protein databases.
- Enzyme Nomenclature Database. Provides synonyms, official Enzyme Nomenclature numbers, and links to literature and other enzyme information.
- GenBank. All publically available DNA sequences.
- GlycomeDB. Carbohydrate structures and annotations.
- Lipidomics Gateway. Lipid Metabolites and Structures. LIPID-MAPS.
Biology Periodical Reading Room
General Science Periodicals
Cellular / Molecular / Genetics
Organismal / Ecology / Evolution
Browse a List of periodicals by subject:
Search Albert to find books, movies, etc..
General Biology Encyclopedias
- Encyclopedia of human biology. (Ref 612.D886a) San Diego: Academic, c1997.
- Magill's survey of science. Life science series. (Ref 574 M272) 6 vols. Pasadena, Calif. : Salem Press, c1991.
Anatomy & Physiology
- Gray's anatomy : the anatomical basis of clinical practice. (Ref 611 G792f) [Edinburgh] : Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier, 2008.
- Atlas of human anatomy by Frank H. Netter (Ref 611.0022 N387b) East Hanover, N.J. : Navartis, c2010
- Anatomy : a regional atlas of the human body (Ref 611.0022 C591) Philadelphia : Wolters Kluwer, 2011.
- Color atlas of anatomy : a photographic study of the human body (Ref 611.0022 R636) Philadelphia : Wolters Kluwer Health, 2011.
- Thieme atlas of anatomy : head and neuroanatomy. (Ref 611.91 Sch86) Stuttgart ; New York : Thieme, c2007
- Human Gross Anatomy : An Outline Text (ebrary online book). Oxford University Press, Incorporated, 1995
- Anatomical Terms and Their Derivation (ebrary online book). World Scientific, 2007.
- Anatomy and Physiology, Cliff's Study Solver (ebrary online book). Wiley, 2005.
- Encyclopedia of microbiology. [online eBook] 3rd ed. San Diego : Academic Press, c2009
- The enzyme reference : a comprehensive guidebook to enzyme nomenclature, reactions, and methods (Ref 574.1925 P973) San Diego, Calif. : Academic Press, c2002.
- Medical Microbiology. From NCBI bookshelf.
- The Jepson manual : vascular plants of California. Berkeley : University of California Press, c2013. (Ref 581.9794 J469a)
- A California flora. Munz. 2 vols. Berkeley, Published for the Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden by the University of California Press, [c1959] (Ref 581.9794 M929)
- A flora of southern California. Munz. (Ref 581.97949 M929) Berkeley, University of California Press 
- Flora of North America : north of Mexico. 27 vols. New York : Oxford University Press, 1993-. (Ref 581.97 F661) Now published online. Grasses online volumes.
- Encyclopedia of biological invasions. (Ref 574.6 Si42) Berkeley : University of California Press, c2011.
- The names of plants. (ebrary online book) Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant Names. (ebrary online book). Helicon Publishing , 2006.
- The Cambridge illustrated glossary of botanical terms. (Ref 581.014 H526). Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Medicinal plants of the world : an illustrated scientific guide to important medicinal plants and their uses Portland : Timber Press, 2004. (Ref 615.321 V389)
- Inventory of Rare, Threatened, and Endangered Plants of California. California Native Plant Society.
- The Official World Wildlife Fund guide to endangered species of North America. 4 vols. Washington, D.C. : Beacham Pub., c1990-. (Ref 574.529 L951)
- The illustrated encyclopedia of trees of the Americas. (Ref 582.16 R818) London : Lorenz Books, 2005.
- Conifers of the world : the complete reference (Ref 585 Ec55) Portland : Timber Press, 2009.
- The Cambridge Dictionary of human biology and evolution. [online eBook] Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- Cambridge Encyclopedia of Darwin and Evolutionary Thought. (Ref 573.2 J725) Cambridge: Cambridge University, 1992.
- Encyclopedia of Human Evolution and Prehistory. (Ref 573.2 T189a) New York: Garland, 1999.
- Encyclopedic dictionary of genetics, genomics, and proteomics. (575.103 R246) Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley-Liss, c2003
- Encyclopedia of genetics. 4 vols. (Ref 575.103 B751) San Diego : Academic, c2002
- Encyclopedia of genetics. (575.103 R259) London : Fitzroy Dearborn, 2001
- Emery and Rimoin's principles and practice of medical genetics. 2 vols.(Ref 616.042 R468) New York : Churchill Livingstone, c1997
- Encyclopedia of microbiology. 3rd ed. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2009. Online in
- Illustrated dictionary of immunology. Boca Raton : CRC Press, c2003 (Ref 616.079 C888i)
- Immunology and Evolution of Infectious Disease. From NCBI Bookshelf.
- Manual of Molecular and Clinical Laboratory Immunology. (ebrary ebook) ASM Press, 2006.
- Medical immunology. Stamford, Conn. : Appleton & Lange, c1997 (Ref 616.079 St59)
- Medical dictionary. Audio pronouncing dictionary from Medline.
- The metabolic and molecular bases of inherited disease. 3 vols. (Ref 616.39 Scr39) New York : McGraw-Hill, Health Professions Division, c1995
- Encyclopedia of marine mammals. (Ref 599.5 P428) San Diego : Academic Press, c2002
- Encyclopedia of ocean sciences. 2nd ed. [online eBook] San Diego : Academic Press, c2008
- Encyclopedia of tidepools and rocky shores. (Ref 574.52636 D428) Berkeley : University of California Press, c2007.
- Interdisciplinary encyclopedia of marine sciences. 3 vol. (Ref 551.46 N980) Danbury, CT : Grolier Academic Reference, c2003
- Rivers of North America. [online eBook] Amsterdam ; Boston : Elsevier/Academic Press, c2005
- World atlas of the oceans. (Ref Oversize 912.155146 L532) Buffalo, N.Y., USA : Firefly Books (U.S.), 2001.
- Handbook of the mammals of the world. (Ref 599 W692) 1. Carnivores, 2. Hoofed mammals, 3. Primates, 4. Sea mammals, 5. Monotremes and Marsupials, 6. Rodents, 7. Insectivores, 8. Bats Barcelona : Lynx, 2009-
- Encyclopedia of animal behavior. (Ref 591.51 B399) Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2004.
- Grzimek's animal life encyclopedia. (GVRL Online). Detroit: Gale, 2003.
- Walker's mammals of the world. (Ref 599 W151e) Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1999
- California's wildlife. 3 vols. (Ref 590 Z35) Sacramento, Calif.:State of California, the Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game, 1988-
- Encyclopedia of marine mammals (Ref 599.5 P428). San Diego : Academic Press, c2002
- Handbook of the birds of the world. 16 projected volumes. (Ref 598.2 H853) Barcelona: Lynx Edicions, c1992-
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Macaulay Library: Online archive of animal sounds and video.
- Grzimek's animal life encyclopedia. (Gale Virtual Reference Library Online). Detroit: Gale, 2003.
- New encyclopedia of birds. (Oxford Online). Oxford: Oxford, 2007.
- VIREO. Bird images and other visual resources for ornithologists from the Academy of Natural Sciences.
Insects and entomology
- Encyclopedia of insects. [online] Amsterdam ; Boston : Academic Press, c2003
- Insects : their natural history and diversity. (Ref 595.7 M358) Buffalo, N.Y. : Firefly Books, 2006.
- The new encyclopedia of insects and their allies. [online]. Oxford : Oxford, 2002.
- The Torre-Bueno glossary of entomology. (Ref 595.7 T635) New York, N.Y., USA : New York Entomological Society in cooperation with the American Museum of Natural History, 1989
Paleozoology, dinosaurs and fossil life
Cellular / Molecular
The Cell: An Image Library, from the American Society for Cell Biology
- Human Genome Project
- NCBI Entrez Genome Project. Collection of Large-Scale Projects.
- Gene Reviews and Gene Tests. Authoritative information on genetic diseases and screening. From National Institutes of Health.
Marine and Freshwater Biology
- Ocean Resources from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- California Ocean Resources Management Program. A Program of the California Natural Resources Agency.
- Oceans, Coasts, Estuaries & Beaches. Resources from the US Environmental Protection Agency. More Water resources from US EPA.
- National Wetlands Inventory. US Fish & Wildlife Service.
- National Wetlands Research Center. USGS.
- The tree of life : a phylogenetic classification. (Ref 574.012 L496). Cambridge, Mass. : Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2006
- Tree of Life
- Interactive Tree of Life
- Plant Evolution Timeline. From University of Cambridge, Department of Plant Sciences.
- PhyloCode. Draft nomenclature incorporating evolutionary relationships.
- Phylogeny Programs. Computer programs for determining evolutionary relationships.
- History of Life Through Time. From the University of California Museum of Palentology.
- Systematics and Molecular Phylogenetics. A primer from NCBI.
Taxonomy and Images
- Angiosperm Phylogeny From Missouri Botanical Garden
- CalPhotos - Images of plants, animals, and more, found in California. To find images taken by Brother Alfred Brousseau, click photographer at this site, then type in Brousseau in the search box. There are over 12,000 of Brother Alfred's images hosted at this site.
- Integrated Taxonomy (ITIS) - Search for individual organisms or view a hierarchical report which links to more Web sites for each organism.
- Tree of Life Web Project (ToL) provides information about the diversity of organisms on Earth, their evolutionary history (phylogeny), and characteristics.
- Encyclopedia of Life (EOL) - Goal is a page for every organism on earth; expert-verified content.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL) - Participates in the Encyclopedia of Life; Natural History Museums and Libraries' digitized content.
Virtual Labs and Classes
- BioInteractive - Virtual laboratories and museum exhibits, video of lectures, animation, virtual labs. From Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
- BioEd Online – Biology teacher resources from Baylor College of Medicine.
- University of California Museum of Paleontology Online Exhibits
Most of the Library's collection of Field Guides can be checked out for use in the field.
California Natural History Guides - the Library subscribes to this series, which includes field guides for California plants, animals, insects, marine life...
Peterson's Field Guides - include birds, wildflowers, animal tracks
National Audubon Society Field Guides - birds, butterlies, wildflowers
Biology publications follow a few basic citation styles, all of which are described in the CSE manual below. If your instructor does not recommend following the style of a specific journal, use the CSE manual and choose one of the basic styles, which are based on APA, Chicago or NLM.
- Scientific style and format: the CSE manual for authors, editors, and publishers. (Ref 808.0665 C832) Reston, VA: Council of Science Editors in cooperation with the Rockefeller University Press, 2006.
- The Library's APA Style Guide provides a summary, or the 6th edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is available in the Reference Room (Ref 150.149 Am35b). For tips, consult the APA Style Blog.
- The Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition) is available in the Reference Room (Ref 808.02 Un3e). You can also visit the Quick Guide from the Chicago Manual publishers.
- Citing medicine: the NLM style guide for authors, editors, and publishers [Internet]. 2nd ed. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2007
Mendeley Citation Manager
- Create an account and download to your desktop from this page
- Instructions for installing the Word Plugin from Mendeley desktop
- Having trouble putting it all together? The SMC Center for Writing Across the Curriculum (or, "The Writing Center"or CWAC) offers peer-to-peer advising sessions for both undergraduate and graduate students. You can call or stop by to make an appointment, or can also drop in and do a session immediately, if an adviser is available. See the CWAC website for more information, or stop by their office first floor DeLaSalle, or call CWAC: 925.631.4684