Discover articles from many of our databases.
- Take a look at "Database How To: SciFinder"
Journal Publisher Packages
- Chemistry: Foundations and Applications; World of Forensic Science; Complete Dictionary of Scientific Biography
- ChemIDplus - Dictionary of over 370,000 chemicals (names, synonyms, and structures) from National Library of Medicine's Specialized Information Service. Use the Advanced Search feature for chemical structure, property, and toxicity searching
- ChemSpider - Royal Society of Chemistry source for 26 million structures, synonyms, trade names, and formulas, with links to properties, spectra, etc. Links to both authoritative journal content (links to SMC subscribed content will only work on campus for this free resource) and non-authoritative (Wikipedia) content, so confirm results with other sources.
- NIST's Webbook - (National Institute of Standards and Technology)Thermochemical, phase transition, gas phase IR and mass spectral data for thousands of compounds.
- PubChem and old PubChem - National Institutes of Health. Biological activities of small molecules. Search compounds, patents, targets, more.
CASSI Search Tool: Chemical Abstracts Source Index-find periodicals titles from abbreviations and the other way too!
Noteworthy Chemistry from the American Chemical Society - browse new ideas in Chemistry.
Use the following links to see all the journals the Library subscribes to in these fields:
Search Albert to find books, movies, etc..
General Chemistry Encyclopedias & Handbooks
Chemist's Ready Reference Handbook. (Ref 540.2 Sh92) New York: McGraw-Hill, 1990.
IUPAC Compendium of Chemical Terminology - The “gold book” for definitions of chemical terms. Based on the 1997 2nd edition, but regularly updated.
Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology. (Ref 660.3 K634a) 26 volumes plus index. 5th ed. New York: Wiley-Interscience, 2007.
Lange's Handbook of Chemistry. (Ref 540.2 L260b) 16th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2005.
Merck Index. (Ref 615.1 M537 2013 ) 15th ed. Rahway, NJ: Merck, 2013.
NIST Chemistry Webbook. Synonyms, structure and data for mostly organic compounds.
ChemBioFinder. Free to search, but you need to register.
ChemWiki. Modular open access Chemistry textbook.
Sigma-Aldrich. Search under Products for compounds and other products for sale. For compounds includes structure, formula, and MSDS.
ChemView. EPA database of health and safety information for regulated compounds.
Dean's analytical chemistry handbook. (Ref. 543 P274) New York : McGraw-Hill, c2004.
Official Methods of Analysis. (Ref 543 Of4) 2 vols. 18th ed. Arlington: Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 2005.
Techniques of Chemistry. (2nd floor, 542 W436) New York: Wiley-Interscience, 1971 to date.
Handbook of green analytical chemistry .(Online eBook Chichester, West Sussex ; Hoboken : John Wiley & Sons, 2012
Aldrich Library of Infrared Spectra. (Ref 535.842 P860) 3rd ed. Milwaukee: Aldrich, 1981.
Aldrich Library of NMR Spectra. (Ref 538.362 P860) 2nd ed. 2 vols. Milwaukee: Aldrich, 1983.
Properties of Organic Compounds includes spectral peaks; included in
See also NIST Webbook.
Annual Review of Physical Chemistry. From
Determination and Use of Stability Constants. (2nd floor, 541.392 M361) New York: VCH, 1992.
Toxnet - From NLM; showcased on the Environmental Health & Toxicology site. In addition to ChemIDPlus and HSDB listed above, this suite of databases includes the following (a caveat - some of the databases not listed on this page are no longer being updated:
IRIS (Integrated Risk Information System) - Hazard identification and dose-response assessments for over 500 chemicals;
TRI (Toxics Release Inventory) - Annual environmental releases of over 600 toxic chemicals by U.S. facilities;
Fieser & Fieser's Reagents for Organic Synthesis. (2nd floor, 547.301 F464) New York: Wiley, 1967 to date.
Organic Chemistry Resources Worldwide - "An intuitive WWW resource guide for synthetic organic chemists"
Organic Reactions. (2nd floor, 547 Or14a) New York: John Wiley and Sons. Annual.
Organic Syntheses and Organic Syntheses Collective Volume. Also available in print (2nd floor, 547 Or14c) 2nd ed. New York: J. Wiley and Sons, Annual. Organic Syntheses. Collective Volume in print (2nd floor, 547 Or13)
Strategic Applications of Named Reactions in Organic Synthesis: background and detailed mechanisms. (Ref 547.2 K967). Boston, Elsevier, 2005.
Inorganic Syntheses. (2nd floor, 545.9 In7) New York: McGraw-Hill, Annual.
KnowledgeDoor easily find common equations for area and volume alongside lesser-known equations for acoustic impedance and luminous energy, mathematical constants in a variety of metric and non-SI units, hyperlinked to a list of full primary or secondary citations.
WebElements Quick basic information.
Google Patents. Another way to search for US Patents.
World International Property Organization (WIPO) - This database searches for patents, trademarks, emblems. Japan and many other countries participate in this UN database.
Patent Searching (University of Minnesota) - US Patent search beginning with Google Patents and venturing on to the US Patent office site
CRC Handbook of Laboratory Safety. (Online eBook) 5th ed. Cleveland, OH: Chemical Rubber, 2000.
Encyclopaedia of Occupational Health and Safety. (Ref 613.62 St39) 4th ed. 4 vols. Geneva: International Labor Office, 1998.
Ellenhorn's Medical Toxicology: Diagnosis and Treatment of Human Poisoning. (Ref 615.9 El54) 2nd ed. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1997.
Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB) - Comprehensive, peer-reviewed toxicology data for about 5,000 chemicals.
MSDS Xchange - (Temporarily or permanently offline as of mid-August 2016) Comprehensive MSDS collection. Only sign in if you want to create a "binder" you can return to.
Chemical Industry and Outlook
- Sigma-Aldrich Catalog - Describes different chemicals, and allows chemists to order them. MSDS included.
- Avantor - Another chemical supplier. Note the MSDS tab.
- Maybridge - Compounds for drug discovery.
- EMD Millipore - Chemicals reagents and other supplies.
- American Chemical Society Career Portal
- Chemists and Materials Scientists [Online eBook] : Job Hunting - A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career Changers. Dayboro : Emereo Publishing, 2012
- Exploring health care careers. (Careers, 1st floor 610.69 Ex74). 2vol. New York : Ferguson, c2006.
- Nontraditional careers for chemists. (Careers: 1st floor 540.23 B185) Oxford : Oxford University Press, c2007.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook. Training required & job prospects from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- The ACS style guide: effective communication of scientific information. (Ref. 540.02 D661a) 3rd ed. Washington, DC : American Chemical Society ; Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2006. Also available in the Library's collection as an eBook. Here's a link to the References chapter.
- Quick Guide to Citing Using the ACS Style Guide from Pennsylvania State University's Physical and Mathematical Sciences Library.
- CASSI Search Tool: Chemical Abstracts Source Index-find periodicals titles from abbreviations and the other way too! You need to abbreviate journal names for ACS Style.
Chemistry Writing and Guides to the Literature
- Write Like a Chemist. Oxford, 2008. (2nd floor 808.0665 R564). On Reserve during Chem 089. Also available as an e-book on the ebrary platform.
- The Literature of Chemistry: recommended titles for undergraduate chemistry. (Ref 540.16 D749) Chicago : ACRL, 2004.
- Chemical Information Sources. A wikibook maintained by the Chemical Information Division of ACS.
Scientific Writing and Presentations
- The art of scientific writing: from student reports to professional publications in chemistry and related fields. (Ref 808.0665 E32). Ebel, Hans Friedrich. Weinheim : Wiley-VCH, c2004
- Doing science : design, analysis, and communication of scientific research. (507.2 V238a) 2nd ed. New York : Oxford University Press, 2009.
- The craft of scientific presentations: critical steps to succeed and critical errors to avoid. (501.4 AL54 2nd floor) (Ebook also available) New York : Springer, c2003
Mendeley Citation Manager
- Create an account and download to your desktop from this page
- Instructions for installing the Word Plugin from Mendeley desktop
- Having trouble putting it all together? The SMC Center for Writing Across the Curriculum (or, "The Writing Center"or CWAC) offers peer-to-peer advising sessions for both undergraduate and graduate students. You can call or stop by to make an appointment, or can also drop in and do a session immediately, if an adviser is available. See the CWAC website for more information, or stop by their office first floor DeLaSalle, or call CWAC: 925.631.4684