Discover articles and books from many of our databases.
Journal Publisher Databases
Meeting Abstract Database
Reference Handbook Databases
Encyclopedias and Handbooks
Earth Science Periodicals Reading Room
Browse periodicals List by subject: Earth and Environmental Sciences
In our print collection:Earth (formerly Geotimes)
Search Albert to find books, movies, etc..
Handbooks and Web Resources
Encyclopedia of Earth Science Series. Major reference work in the field, issued in parts. See also specific titles:
- Encyclopedia of coastal science. (Ref 551.457 Sch95) Dordrecht, The Netherlands : Springer, c2005
- Encyclopedia of environmental science. (Ref 333.7 AL26) Dordrecht ; Boston : Kluwer Academic Publishers, c1999
- Encyclopedia of field and general geology. (Ref 550.3 F495) New York :Van Nostrand Reinhold, c1988
- Encyclopedia of geomagnetism and paleomagnetism. (Ref 538.703 G932) Dordrecht : Springer, c2007.
- Encyclopedia of hydrology and water resources (Ref 551.48 H438) Dordrecht ; Boston : Kluwer Academic, 1998
- The Encyclopedia of structural geology and plate tectonics. (Ref 551.1 Se94) Publisher New York : Van Nostrand Reinhold, c1987
- Glossary of geology. (Ref 550.3 B319) Alexandria, Va. : American Geological Institute, c1987
- Companion encyclopedia of geography : from local to global. 2 vols. (Ref 910 D746) Publisher London : Routledge, 2007.
- California Geological Survey - Maps, hazards, reports, news.
- Geologic atlas of California. (Atlas Case 557.94 C128 GA ) San Francisco: California. Division of Mines and Geology
- California Department of Water Resources - Data and Reports including the Water Data Library. At the bottom, browse topics A-Z.
- California State Water Resources Control Board - Water quality, water rights.
- Geology of California. (Ref 557.94 N797) New York: Wiley, 1990.
- San Francisco Estuary Project. Local/State/Federal partnership to carry out the Comprehensive Conservation and management Plan for the San Francisco Bay-Delta Estuary. Includes An Introduction to the San Francisco Estuary and State of the Estuary Annual Reports (2008).
- California Water Atlas. (Ref oversize 912.794 K122) Sacramento: The Governor's Office, 1979.
Hydrology - Water Issues
- Rivers of North America. (Ref 551.483 B438) Amsterdam ; Boston : Elsevier/Academic Press, c2005
- Freshwater Issues. (Ref 333.91 Sm68) Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2002.
- Water: science and issues. 4 vols. (GVRL online) New York: Macmillan, 2003.
- Hydrology and the management of watersheds. (ebrary ebook) Ames, Ia. : Wiley-Blackwell, 2012
- U.S. Geological Survey - News, reports, maps. Earthquake Hazards. Real-time maps.
- National Geologic Map Database - Standardized collection of maps from many sources, including USGS and Association of American State Geologists
- Berkeley Earth - Earth temperature and climate science data sets
Global Volcanism Program - From the Smithsonian.
Field Guides and Handbooks
Rocks and Minerals
The Library's field guides can be checked-out so they are useful in the field! Here is a selection:
- Minerals and rocks : exercises in crystal and mineral chemistry, crystallography, X-ray powder diffraction, mineral and rock identification, and ore mineralogy (2nd floor 549 K672). Hoboken, NJ : Wiley, c2008
- Sediments, diagenesis, and sedimentary rocks. Amsterdam ; Boston : Elsevier, 2005
- Igneous rocks: a classification and glossary of terms : recommendations of the International Union of Geological Sciences, Subcommission on the Systematics of Igneous Rocks. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2002
- Metamorphic rocks and their geodynamic significance : a petrological handbook. Boston : Kluwer Academic Publishers, c2002
- Deformation microstructures and mechanisms in minerals and rocks. Boston : Kluwer Academic Publishers, c2000
- The Audubon Society field guide to North American rocks and minerals. (2nd floor 549.1 C426) New York : Knopf, 1978
- Rocks and minerals of the San Francisco Bay region. (2nd floor 549.9 B675) Berkeley, University of California Press, 1966,c1962
- Franciscan and related rocks and their significance in the geology of western California. (2nd floor 557.94 C128 B183) San Francisco, 1964
- Earth materials : introduction to mineralogy and petrology. (2nd floor 549 K672e) New York : Cambridge University Press, 2013
- Introduction to mineralogy. (oversize, 3rd floor 549 N373) New York : Oxford University Press, 2000
- Principles of igneous and metamorphic petrology. (oversize, 3rd floor 552.1 P549) New York : Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Geology and natural history of the San Francisco Bay Area : a field-trip guidebook : (2nd floor 557.94 St66 ) Menlo Park, Calif. : U.S. Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey, 2001
- Roadside geology of Northern and Central California / Alt, David D. (2nd floor 557.94 AL79a) Missoula, Mont. : Mountain Press, 2000
- Field guide to the geology and metamorphism of the Franciscan Complex and Western Metamorphic Belt of northern California. (2nd floor 557.94 Sch32) Sacramento, CA : California Dept. of Conservation, Division of Mines and Geology, 1992
- Geologic guidebook to the Point Reyes area, Northern California. (2nd floor 557.9462 B497) Ventura, CA : Pacific Section, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, c1990
- Scientific style and format: the CSE manual for authors, editors, and publishers. (Ref 808.0665 C832) Reston, VA: Council of Science Editors in cooperation with the Rockefeller University Press, 2006. CSE attempts to bring together the various styles used in the sciences.
- The Library's APA Style Guide provides a summary, or the 6th edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is available in the Reference Room (Ref 150.149 Am35b). APA also has a blog with tips.
Mendeley Citation Manager
- Create an account and download to your desktop from this page
- Instructions for installing the Word Plugin from Mendeley desktop
- Having trouble putting it all together? The SMC Center for Writing Across the Curriculum (or, "The Writing Center"or CWAC) offers peer-to-peer advising sessions for both undergraduate and graduate students. You can call or stop by to make an appointment, or can also drop in and do a session immediately, if an adviser is available. See the CWAC website for more information, or stop by their office first floor DeLaSalle, or call CWAC: 925.631.4684.