Students in the Green Community have a unique opportunity to carry out the Catholic, Lasallian, and Liberal Arts traditions of the College through activities such as:
- recycling and energy use promotion and education;
- organizing sustainable move-out with Goodwill and the Monument Crisis Center, in collaboration with Facilities Services, to lower environmental impact;
- growing fruits and vegetables in the Legacy Garden;
- volunteering with the LaMorinda environmental community;
- and, carrying out a unique project that targets campus sustainability.
Ultimately, the Green Living Learning Community serves as a model, growing into a sustainable legacy that will influence following generations of students at the College.
- Acquire knowledge about–and develop connections to–the campus' natural environment.
- Reflect on the relationship between personal behavior/decisions and environmental impact as it relates to social justice and economic issues.
- Take steps to reduce personal environmental footprint.
- Take steps to reduce collective environmental footprint as a community.
- Become a model for low impact campus residential living.
- Contribute to activities in the Legacy Garden.
- Promote environmental responsibility for the campus community in partnership with the Sustainability Committee, or other college sanctioned groups working on sustainability issues.
- Leave a green legacy.
- Enrollment, in each semester, in the quarter credit course Comm 190: Campus Sustainability
- Sixteen (16) hours of service in the area of environmental sustainability
For more information about how you can become involved with the Green Living Learning Community, please contact Julie Welch at [email protected]. Applications (found at the bottom of this page) for the 2014-2015 community are due by February 19, 2014 at 3:00 p.m., with interviews being held February 20-24, 2014. For more information on the campus sustainability movement, visit our sustainability page.
Saint Mary's is helping reduce on-campus waste with the Recycle Mania competition!
RecycleMania is a friendly competition and benchmarking tool for college and university recycling programs to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities. Over an 8-week period each spring, colleges across the United States and Canada report the amount of recycling and trash collected each week and are in turn ranked in various categories based on who recycles the most on a per capita basis, as well as which schools have the best recycling rate as a percentage of total waste and which schools generate the least amount of combined trash and recycling.With each week's updated ranking, participating schools follow their performance against other colleges and use the results to rally their campus to reduce and recycle more.
More information about the competition is here on their website, www.recyclemaniacs.org!
- Full clear blue bags with recyclables will be collected on the Dante Quad in front of the Library. Every week we want our pile to be bigger than the last week's. Our goal - 1000 bags a week!
- Students will get a ticket to enter a drawing for a $100 Amazon Gift card for every full clear blue bag of Recycling they bring on Wednesdays.
- Bring a bag every week, and get a ticket every week for the drawing.
This Year's Green Projects
The Green Community students teamed up in their Comm 190: Campus Sustainability course to create various projects geared toward making SMC a more sustainable campus. Read tips on how to be green here, and take a look at one group's creative YouTube video below to see why it is so important to be green.