Men's Rugby 7's

The Gaels Sevens team today started out with a victory against University of San Diego by scoring 6 tries and converting 4 kicks and held the Toreros  to no points.  Tries were scored by Cooper Maloney(2), Chase Herring (1), Garrett Brewer (1), and Mason Colombo (2).  The next match was against Colorado State and again the Gales came out strong and with some freshmen making their debut  by Tommy Wallace and Michael McCarthy.  We won the game 31-7 with tries from Tommy Wallace (1), Bubba Jones (2) and Garrett Brewer (2) and Garrett made 3 conversion kicks.  We now moved onto the semifinal match against CAL who also won their pool and the game was set for 2:40pm.


The game was a very physical match with CAL playing their usual "beat you in the ruck" type of game and they were able to score in the 3rd minute making the score 5-0.  CAL missed the conversion and  2 minutes later added another try to make the score 10-0 with a  few minutes  left in the first half.  CAL continued to pressure the Gaels and took advantage of some mistakes to add one more try to go up 17-0. Saint Mary's did not give up and they were able to score a nice try in the corner just before the whistle blew and the half time score was 17-5.  Saint Mary's came out strong in the 2nd half and scored a try to bring the score to 17-10 and the defense did not give up another point the entire half.  However our offense came up short on  at least 2-3 great opportunities to catch CAL on their heels but unfortunately a few knock on's and forward passes hurt the Gaels and the game ended up 17-10 with CAL moving onto the finals to play UCLA who beat Cal Poly in their semifinal.


Saint Mary's then had one more match to play for 3rd place and the Gales again played a very physical game against Cal Poly and the game was tied 5-5 at half time.  The game went back and forth and side line to side line and the Gaels were able to score a try to tie the game 12-12 with 2 minutes left in the second half.  Holden Yungert was called for a high tackle and the Gaels had to play a man down for at least 1 minute.  The game ended in a tie so they went to sudden death overtime but the Gaels were one man down with Holden Yungert still in the Sin Bin for his penalty.  The boys were great and never gave up and they were able to stop Cal Poly and it was Bubba Jones who took a loose ball off of a ruck to go up the side lines for a 60 yard try in the corner to win the game.  Overall the Gaels went 3-1 to take 3rd place in the tournament and now look forward to the Saint Mary;s "Battle in the Bay" Sevens tournament October 26th & 27th at Treasure Island.  Below are the 16 teams that will participate in the Battle in the Bay tournament which is slated as one of the best tournaments in the west coast.  Go Gaels!