2013 Spring/Summer Alumni News
- Chris O'Brien's (fiction, 2010 & creative nonfiction, 2011) lyrical essay, Fish, is in the Spring 2013 issue of Seneca Review.
- Angela Hume (poetry, 2008) is featured in Issue 7 of Little Red Leaves.
Read an excerpt from Angela's book, The Middle.
- Michael Sakoda (creative nonfiction, 2013) writes for the Lamorinda Weekly.
- Alumna Cielo Lutino (creative nonfiction, 2007) is a writer and producer for Econsultancy, a community where the world's digital marketing and ecommerce professionals meet and discover how to do everything better online.
- Alumnus Jason Sattler (fiction, 2008) is Executive Editor and a regular contributor for The National Memo, a political newsletter and website that combines the spirit of investigative journalism with new technology and ideas.
Check out some of his stories here!
- Alumna and co-founder of Omnidawn Publishing, Rusty Morrison (poetry, 1999), invites you to attend an annual garden party to celebrate Omnidawn’s continuing publication of culturally vital literature, on Saturday, September 21st from 4-6pm in Oakland, California.
Poet and translator Don Revell will speak, and ample wine and appetizers will be served in Sharon Osmond’s mannequin-haunted Rockridge garden.
- Alumnus Adam Stumacher's (fiction, 2004) fiction is featured in the Summer 2013 issue of The Kenyon Review! Check out an interview with the author here.
- Alumna Jamie North (poetry, 2011) is offering this wonderful poetry workshop in North Berkeley on Sunday, August 18th:
Poetry and Embodiment
An experiential poetry workshop August 18th in North Berkeley.
At Rainbow Heart Studio on Cornell Ave.
1:00 - 3:30pm
Come for a beautiful and relaxing afternoon of poetry, art, creativity, meditation, and embodiment.
Contact Jamie North at [email protected] for more information or to RSVP.
- The Volta Picks: Angela Hume’s (poetry, 2008), The Middle.
- 2010 poetry graduate, Meg Hurtado Bloom, in Ink Node.
- Alisa Heinzman (poetry, 2010) is a featured poet in Pinwheel.
- The Kenyon Review on Rusty Morrison's (poetry, 1999) third book of poetry, Book of the Given.
- Alumna, Jennifer Jean's (poetry, 2001) third book of poetry, The Fool, has just been accepted for publication by Big Table Publishing and is forthcoming in winter 2013!
- 2010 fiction alumna, Analisa Falcon, is the editor of The Ascender, a new online journal focused on exploring futurist thought and innovation through investigative, narrative journalism.
- Oona: On Contemporary Poetry & Poetics reviews 2008 poetry alumna, Angela Hume Lewandowski's book, The Middle.
- 2010 poetry graduate, Jason Bayani reads in Berkeley this Wednesday night! Come out and support this SMC alum & the launch of his new book of poetry, Amulet.
- Alumna Cielo Lutino (creative nonfiction, 2007) has essays published in the spring 2013 issues of the Los Angeles Review and Cold Mountain Review.
- Read 2001 poetry graduate, Jennifer Jean's poem, "With the aid of a paste pot and brush I have transformed the walls," published in Poetica Magazine's Summer 2013 issue.
Jennifer is also a regular "arts & issues" blogger for Amirah, a non-profit that advocates for sex-trafficking survivors. Great work, Jennifer!
- Alumna Sara Mumolo (poetry, 2009) is featured in Ink Node.
- Read two of alumna Lisa Cattrone's (poetry, 2001) poems in the latest issue of Interim.
- In the July/August edition of Poets and Writers (page 77), alumnus Jason Bayani (poetry, 2010) was named one of the best writers ever heard by Beth Lisick, Steve Almond and Derrick Brown.
- Alumna Analucia DaSilva's (fiction, 2010) poem, "Children Dug Out of a Parsley Bed," is featured in the Spring 2013 issue of Colorado Review.
- Alumna and MFA Program Manager, Sara Mumolo (poetry, 2009) has a few poems in the current issue of comma, poetry--a new journal out of University Press Books.
- Creative Nonfiction graduate, Vicki Hudson (2008), blogs about her time at the Veteran's Writing Project Retreat.
- Alumna and Editor-in-Chief, Bethany Ruthnick (creative nonfiction, 2013) has just launched this cool, new E-Zine, Babbling Creek Review, and is seeking submissions!
- Alumna and MFA Program Manager Sara Mumolo's (poetry, 2009) book of poetry, Mortar, is forthcoming in October 2013 by Omnidawn Publishing.
Congratulations, Sara! Order your copy now!
- Alumna Jennifer Jean (poetry, 2001) reviews Peter Gizzi's book Threshold Songs in Drunken Boat.
- Alumna Mallory Bass Webb (poetry, 2012) has five poems published in the Spring 2013 issue of BlazeVOX!
- Alumna Kristen Hanlon (poetry, 1998) writes for an SFGate.com Neighborhood Blog. Check out her recent entry, Alameda Bookshelf: Laurie Wagner, 27 Powers.
- 2008 poetry graduate, Angela Hume, has authored a Jacket2 commentary on *afterness*, ecopoetics, and ecological crisis.
- 1999 poetry grad Rusty Morrison's book, After Urgency, is #17 of the top 20 poetry books from The Believer Mag reader survey!
- Congratulations to fiction alumnus (2004), Adam Stumacher whose fiction appears in the Summer 2013 issue of the Kenyon Review.
- Read alumna Jenny Drai's (poetry, 2006) poem, "A Very Old Subject" in Ink Node.
- Alumnus Michael Sakoda (creative nonfiction, 2013) writes about two Lamorinda high school softball teams in the Lamorinda Weekly.
- MFA graduates are making a splash at Caught in the Carousel (CITC), a comprehensive on-line music magazine founded by alum, Alex Green (poetry, 1997)!
Rebecca Eckland (creative nonfiction, 2012) is the new News Editor and Maria Judnick (creative nonfiction, 2013) is the newest intern at CITC.
Congrats to all!
- Alumna and MFA Program Manager, Sara Mumolo (poetry, 2009) interviews fellow alumna Alisa Heinzman (poetry, 2010) in Poets, Presses & Periodicals, a regular feature of OmniVerse.
- Read alumna Courtney Jameson's (poetry, 2013) poems, "Death Crosses Boarders" and "Conquest of the Destitute" in Similar : Peaks : :.
Congratulations on your first of many publications, Courtney!
- Alumna Cristin Bishara's (poetry, 1998) forthcoming book, Relativity, is featured on Waiting on Wednesday, a meme of Icy Books.
- Read poetry alumna (2010), Alisa Heinzman's interview in Les Femmes Folles.
- 2012 fiction graduate and regular Yahoo!News reporter, Mike Krumboltz, writes about the recent Oklahoma tornado.
- We love when alums work with alums!
Check out creative nonfiction graduate (2012) Rebecca Eckland's article in Caught in the Carousel, a comprehensive on-line music magazine founded by fellow alum, Alex Green (poetry, 1997)!
Great teamwork, Alex and Rebecca!
- Here's a recent write up of 2007 poetry grad, Andrew Kenower's brainchild, The East Bay Poetry Summit, happening May 24-27 at various venues in the East Bay!
- Alumna Vicki Hudson (creative nonfiction, 2008) is making news again!
She'll be attending the Veterans Writing and Film-Making Summer Workshops in poetry at George Washington University this June!
AND you can read her essay, "Call Up" in O-Dark-Thirty now! CONGRATULATIONS, Vicki!
- Alumna, Angela Hume (poetry, 2008) reading at Bica for Underpass Reading Series. Angela is the author of the chapbook, The Middle, from Omnidawn.
- Alumnus Juan Alvarado Valdivia (creative nonfiction, 2010) has had two stories published recently! Read "Just Another Day" in Black Heart Magazine and "El Cenote" in the 5th anniversary issue of The Acentos Review.
- Alumna Lisa Cattrone (poetry, 2001) has two poems in Interim Volume 30. Read, "Astraphobia" and "from 6 Degrees of Freedom."
- 2003 poetry graduate, Analucia DaSilva, is featured in the Colorado Review! Read her poem, "Children Dug Out of a Parsley Bed." Congratulations, Ana!
- Alumna Nancy Tengler (creative nonfiction, 2009) writes for Business Voices, "How to generate returns without being 100% right all the time."
- Vicki Hudson (creative nonfiction, 2009) celebrates her fifth year participating in SHOUT!: Art by Women Veterans, an initiative of Swords to Plowshares. RSVP to the May 8th event.
- 2001 poetry grad, Lisa Cattrone has work forthcoming in Fourteen Hills 19.2: The San Francisco State University Review. To celebrate nearly twenty years of publishing the mag is throwing a 19.2 release party on Wednesday, May 15 at 7p at the Verdi Club in San Francisco.
- Read Yahoo! News blogger and 2012 fiction graduate, Mike Krumboltz' latest reports!
- Grads Rusty Morrison (poetry, 1997) and Lily Brown (poetry, 2007) are featured in The Volta/The Conversant this month!
- Alumnus Kevin Finley (creative nonfiction, 2009) just signed a book contract with Think Piece Publishing for his tentatively titled travel memoir, Goodnight Saint Paul. Congratulations on this outstanding accomplishment, Kevin!
You can also read Kevin's essay, Reunion Island, in Outside In Magazine.
- Read alumna Janet Hardy's (creative nonfiction, 2008) latest essay in Bi Women titled, "The Twist."
- Kaya Oakes (poetry, 1997) is interviewed by The Jesuit Post. Listen to the podcast!
- Nora Zulema Garcia's (creative nonfiction, 2012) essay, "Educational Otherness" is forthcoming in the Viewpoint section of Saint Mary's Magazine this summer! Congratulations, Nora!
- 1997 poetry alumna, Rusty Morrison's book, After Urgency, is nominated for a California Book Award! Congratualtions, Rusty!
- Alumnus Andrew Kenower (poetry, 2007) is organizing the East Bay Poetry Summit! What an accomplishment, Andrew!
- Alumna Kristen Hanlon (poetry, 1998) writes about Alameda’s Bay-Eagle Community Garden in SF Gate.
- Musician and alumna Rosa del Duca (fiction, 2010) and alumnus Nicholas Leither (fiction, 2006) are out to play free music and gather responses to their American Happiness Project.
- Check out alumna Rebecca Eckland's (creative nonfiction, 2012) article in the Lamorinda Weekly on the Short Course Championship Swim Meet where she placed second in the 1650 free with a time of 21:41!
- An interview with two alumni, Rusty Morrison (poetry, 1999) & Gillian Hamel (poetry, 2011) by Sarah Suzor on the Best American Poetry Blog. Check it out!
- Poems from Alumna Sally Delehant (poetry, 2009) in Pinwheel.
- Purchase a copy of alumnus, Jason Bayani's (poetry, 2010) new collection of poems, Amulet.
- Alumna, Angela Hume's (poetry, 2008) The Middle, is out now from Omnidawn Publishing. If you would like to own a copy, you can order the chapbook directly from Omnidawn (free shipping!).
- Alumna, Vicki Hudson (creative nonfiction, 2008), on Pulitzer Remix for National Poetry Month. 85 poets from 7 countries create found poems from each of the Pulitzer prize winners in fiction.
- 2011 creative nonfiction graduate, Risa Nye, is a contributing author in "Oh Sandy: An Anthology of Humor for a Serious Purpose," which explores the humorous side of experiencing a disaster.
- Teresa Burns Gunther's (fiction, 2004) fiction and nonfiction have appeared in numerous literary journals, most recently in Northwind Magazine (March 2013), obit by Pure Slush, (April 2013) and in Best New Writing 2012. Her work was recently awarded third place in a fiction contest by Northwind Magazine and recognized in a number of other contests by: Narrative Magazine, Raymond Carver Short Story Contest, New Millennium Writing, The Eric Hoffer Award and more.
Last summer she was awarded a Fellowship at the Norman Mailer Center and Writers Colony. New work will be anthologized in the forthcoming 2014 A Year of Stories and in The Best of Pen and Brush, Inc. Watch for her next author interview with Ruth Ozeki in Bookslut in April 2013. Learn more at her website.
What a wonderful list of accomplishments, Teresa!
- Juan Alvarado Valdivia's (creative nonfiction, 2010) essay, "My Afternoon with Jesus," was recently published in Label Me Latina/o. He was also featured in BorderSenses Literary Magazine and has a short story forthcoming in Black Heart Magazine. Congratulations, Juan!
- The Daily Nebraskan interviews 2009 poetry alum, Nima Najafi-Kianfar.
- Read the Times Union interview with Kaya Oakes (poetry, 1997) where she discusses her memoir, Radical Reinvention.
- Read creative nonfiction graduate (2008) Janet Hardy's article, "Orgasm Times 100? How My Tantric 'Awakening' Turned Me Off Sex" in AlterNet and Salon.
- Here's some more news on 2004 fiction graduate, Adam Stumacher. Listen to the author read "Local Appetites" in The Drum.
- 2007 poetry graduate A.E. Watkins is interviewed in the Sycamore Review.
- Adam Stumacher (fiction, 2004) has been awarded several residencies in the recent past including Spiro Arts in 2012, Vermont Studio Center, Virgina Center for the Creative Arts (VCCA), and Jentel. He was awarded a tuition scholarship from the Bread Loaf Writers Conference.
Finally, a story is forthcoming in the summer 2013 issue if The Kenyon Review.
Check out 2006 poetry alumna, Jenni Drai's list of recent publications:
In Spitton 2.4, "The Humans Receiving Telemetry Are as Happy as They Are"
In Horse Less Review #13, from "THE NEW SORROW IS LESS THAN THE OLD SORROW"
In Jellyfish Magazine, "Jane Eyre | Jane Eyre | Jane Eyre"
Her chapbbook, "The New Sorrow is Less than the Old Sorrow," was a finalist in the Black River Chapbook Contest and will be published by Black Lawrence Press.
"Visitors, Cavaliers," a manuscript of poetry was a finalist in the Subito Press Book Prize.
You're an inspiration, Jenni!
- Rebecca Eckland's (creative nonfiction, '12) essay, Emblem, is featured in The Barnstormer! Congrats, Rebecca!
- Check out these poems from alumnus, Brett Shepard (poetry, '09) in Ilk!
- An interview with alumnus, A.E. Watkins (poetry, '07) on his new collection of poems, Dear, Companion, out from Dream Horse Press.
- Creative nonfiction graduate ('12) and poetry candidate, Kelsay Myers, will also be attending the Tin House Summer Workshop this July at Reed College in Portland, OR!
- Alumna, Angela Hume (poetry, '08) has organized this brilliant conference at UCB this week, Feb 22-24. Tickets are sold out, but there are two free readings that are open to the public.
- Alumna, Rusty Morrison's (poetry, '99) After Urgency reviewed in the Iowa Review by Virginia Konchan.
- Alumna Lisa Cattrone (poetry, '01) is making news again! Horseless Press just announced that they'll be publishing her chapbook, Mutations for Jenny!
- Alumna Lisa Cattrone (poetry, '01) has been busy getting her poetry published!
"Angels," "A Toast," and "You Will Be The Death Of Me" are all featured on The Claudias App
"Dumb Girl" was published in Gulf Coast and Verse Daily
Download Volume 17 of VOLT to read "Marvel"
"In the Theater of the Myth of Felix the Cat" and "There Was This One Guy" are featured in Scythe VII Winter 2012
Poetry forthcoming in EOAGH, West Wind Review and Interim
and last, but certainly not least, Lisa was a finalist for the Kelsey Street Press' Firsts first book contest!
Way to go, Lisa!
- Creative Nonfiction graduate ('12) Rebecca Eckland has landed a spot at the Tin House Summer Workshop this July 2013 at Reed College in Portland, OR!
- New episode of Break The Line, Rebecca Farivar's (poetry, 08) podcast is up featuring novelists Michael Lukas and Mary Volmer (fiction, 05) discussing short poems by Rebecca Wolff and Carol Snow. You can listen online or download it on iTunes.
- Alumnus (fiction, '97) and Advisory Board Member Josh Braff in Huffington Post.
- Creative nonfiction graduate (2008) Vicki Hudson's essay, War Cats, was selected as a finalist in the Adanna Literary Journal’s Women and War competition.
War Cats will be published in the upcoming Winter 2013 issue – Women and War: A Tribute to Adrienne Rich.
- Here's more media coverage of alumna, Denise Leto's collab with Cid Pearlman & Joan Jeanrenaud. Check out the article in San Francisco Classical Voice.
- Alumna, Denise Leto's Collab with Cid Pearlman, "Shark," gets a write-up in the SF Chronicle.