At Saint Mary’s College, we believe that we can reach greater heights of excellence by learning from diverse people in our community and creating a culture in which we are all valued, respected, and supported. We envision a community that goes beyond the tolerance of difference to one that is guided by social justice, cultural competence and engaged citizenship. The College Committee on Inclusive Excellence (CCIE) believes inclusivity is essential to achieving the standards of excellence to which we aspire.
The CCIE collaborates with academic and student-focused centers campus-wide. Some of our partners include:
- The SMCares Campaign, which fosters a culture of care, responsibility and respect at SMC
- The Intercultural Center, a student diversity and inclusion center which educates the campus for cultural competence and social justice.
- The High Potential Program, designed to foster student success by drawing on the strengths and resiliency of first generation and/or low income scholars and leaders as they transition from high school to college.
CCIE goals and strategies listed below are examples, but are not exhaustive or definitive.
- Improve the Recruitment, Retention, and Success of Underrepresented Students, Staff, and Faculty. Strategies may include establishment of targets for applicant pools and composition, training in inclusive recruiting, mentoring programs, and the development of programs and structures to promote student success.
- Build an Inclusive Community. Strategies include targeted training in cultural competencies for all campus constituents, professional development for faculty in teaching and learning with diverse populations, support for diversity initiatives, and development of communication tools in support of inclusive excellence.
- Develop Systems of Accountability and Assessment. Strategies may include requiring and reviewing diversity and equity plans in programs and schools, recommending and reviewing policies and procedures for handling incidents of intolerance and discrimination, reviewing and assessing diversity requirements in the curriculum, and conducting and reviewing climate surveys/diversity audits.