OLD Financial Aid


  • Admission to the Kalmanovitz School of Education (KSOE) is required before we can process, offer, and disburse aid.
  • Allow sufficient time for the processing of your financial aid award and apply early.
  • It may or may not take up to 30-40 days, provided the loan application process has been completed, before the actual disbursement of aid.
  • Students must be enrolled at least half-time and attending classes in order to receive financial aid.  If not, financial aid funds must be returned.  Half-time is 5 units for a Master’s degree candidate and 6 units for Teacher Credential.
  • Financial aid is disbursed for Fall, Spring, and Summer terms, but not Jan term.
  • Notify your financial aid advisor if there is a change to your educational plan.


  • What will I need to complete a free application?  Collect your (and your spouse’s, if you are married) financial documents needed to apply, including a complete copy of your Federal income tax return and W-2 forms (and other records of income).  Tax return not completed at the time you apply?  Estimate (based on the previous year’s income) the tax information, apply, and correct the information later.  Make sure to look over the “documents needed” checklist.
  1. Your Social Security Number.  Be sure it is correct!
  2. Your driver’s license (if any)
  3. Your most recent W2 Forms and other records of money earned
  4. Your (and your spouse’s, if you are married) most recently filed Federal Tax Return
    • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ
  5. Your Parents’ most recently filed Federal Income Tax return (if you are a dependent student)
  6. Your most recent untaxed income records (Veterans non-education benefit records, child support received, worker’s compensation)
  7. Your current bank statements
  8. Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
  9. Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • I just finished collecting my financial documents. What is my next step?  To be eligible for financial aid, you must also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which is available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.  Saint Mary’s College Federal School Code is #001302. Please note: The FSA ID has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN. PINS are no longer valid to log into fafsa.gov, nslds.gov, studentloans.gov, etc. Instead you must have an FSA ID. Instructions to 'Create FSA ID''  You may call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 with questions.
  • I just successfully submitted my FAFSA, electronically, now what happens?  Federal Student Aid will process your application and send you a Student Aid Report (SAR).  An electronic copy will also be made available to SMC within 3 to 4 business days.  Review the student aid report---the result of your FASA application.  If necessary, make changes or corrections and resubmit your (SAR) for reprocessing.  Your complete, correct student aid report will contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC)--the number used to determine federal student aid eligibility.
  • How important is admission to KSOE in the financial aid process?  Well, quite honestly very important!  To be eligible for state and/or federal financial aid, a student must apply and be admitted into a degree or certificate program. Keep in mind that all documents required for admission must be submitted before unconditional acceptance can be offered.  If it is determined that you meet the admission requirements, the financial aid office will then finalize your financial aid package. 
  • I received my acceptance letter.  What is my next step?  Congratulations!  Be proud, you spent a lot of time, effort, and dedication on this project.  Now that you have been admitted, there is one thing the financial aid advisor must have in order to ensure your access to financial aid: Your current and complete FAFSA. The Financial Aid Office is available to answer questions regarding loans and federal and state student aid. Simple walk-in or call-in questions regarding forms and procedures can be handled without an appointment.  A formal appointment can be made for individual counseling by calling 925-631-4370.
  • How will I be notified if I am awarded financial aid?  The Office of Financial Aid will notify you when you have been awarded financial aid.  Students will be mailed their original/initial award letter outlining their aid eligibility and instructions if additional steps are needed to finalize their award(s).  If a revision to the original award letter occurs, students will be notified by SMC email to log on to GaelXpress to view the change.  There is no need to take any action on GaelXpress as the revised award letter is “inquiry only”.  Students should contact Financial Aid Office with any questions or concerns.