First Year Advising Cohort
First Year Advising Cohort (FYAC) is the foundation for academic advising at Saint Mary's. It will provide structured support to help you transition into the academic and scholarly demands of college life, as well as provide guidance for your educational experiences and learning opportunities. In general, FYAC will help you more fully and clearly understand yourself in the context of higher learning and the college experience.
1. Acquaint students with aspects of the Saint Mary’s College community, including the Lasallian, Catholic, and Liberal Arts traditions as they are experienced here.
2. Engage in a variety of community building experiences with their FYAC.
3. Inform students of the role of faculty and academic advisors and of campus support resources.
4. Familiarize students with the core curriculum, general education, and basic structure of major/minor requirements, and how to use the course catalog and GaelXpress to find information and assess their degree progress.
5. Give the opportunity to form a mentoring relationship with a faculty advisor.
6. Explore strategies for academic success.
7. Set personal academic goals and develop habits as responsible decision makers.
8. Introduced to SEBA majors, including co-curricular and extra-curricular programs, as well as engage in a series of workshops for individual professional development.