Learning Goal: By studying the world from the perspectives and frameworks of history and the social sciences, students will understand how to place today's world in a meaningful context and to arrive at sufficiently complex explanations for current social arrangements. These perspectives and their methodologies allow students to probe deeply into the richness and diversity of what it has meant and means to be a human in relationship with others, in different places and times.
Learning Outcomes: Students will:
- Examine human activity in particular periods or places from a social, cultural or historical perspective; and
- Demonstrate an understanding of theories of human behavior, relations, culture, or institutions; or interpretations of historical causation and change; and
- Employ social science or historical methodology to collect and interpret evidence about the social world.
Rationale (i.e., the intention of the proposed outcomes): The outcomes for Social, Historical, and Cultural Understanding are intended to reflect the methodology of the disciplines of social science and history. Outcome #1 is about content, noting that students are expected to learn and apply their skills in the context of the study of human activities. Outcome #2 expects students to articulate one or more theoretical/explanatory frameworks that are operative in these disciplines. This will likely take on different forms, depending on the criteria of the specific discipline in question. Outcome #3 expects students to employ the methodology used by these disciplines i.e., their standards of evidence and argumentation.
Implementation: Students are required to take two courses that meet these learning goals.
Proposal Evaluation and Recommendation Form: Used in determining 2013-14 Core. Social, Historical & Cultural Understanding
2012-13 SHCU Assessment: Final report
SHCU Course Proposers: Guidelines
Examples of Successful Proposals:
- History 18: History of the United States since 1877 Proposal Syllabus
- Kinesiology 114: Sociology of Sport and Physical Activity Proposal Syllabus
- Modern Language 185: Culture and Civilization of France Proposal/Syllabus
- Sociology 4: Social Problems Proposal Syllabus Syllabus
Questions? Contact the CCC