What is the Corporate & Relations Office and what does it do?
The Office of Corporate & Foundation Relations is part of the Advancement Office. We are responsible for all grant requests made to external organizations including private and public sources. Our responsibilities include planning, preparing, and submitting institutional grants, and helping individual faculty and staff to seek external funding for their projects. Individuals write their own grant proposals with our assistance.
Can I submit a grant request on my own?
All grant requests to non-College funders must be handled through the Corporate & Foundation Relations Office. The support we provide can be crucial in your success as a grantseeker, and also to the success of the Mission of the College.
What types of support does the Development office offer and to whom?
The Corporate & Foundation Relations Office staff is happy to help Saint Mary's faculty and staff secure external funding. Here is some of what we do:
- Maintain and promote relationships on behalf of the College and its faculty with external funders.
- Research and publish information about funding sources.
- Help avoid potential conflicts or multiple proposals being prepared for a particular funder.
- Help you calendar the tasks required to secure a grant.
- Assist with proposal development including budget creation.
- Identify matching requirements.
- Proofread, edit, and give feedback on draft proposals.
- Provide Saint Mary's boilerplate facts that are required for your proposal.
- Manage the internal approval process for your proposal.
- Ensure that the required proposal and budget are complete prior to submission.
- Submit proposals electronically on behalf of the College and its faculty / staff (e.g., through the National Science Foundation's Fastlane system)
When do I contact the Development office?
As soon as you begin to consider developing a proposal. Feel free to contact us early in the process. We can help steer you through the process to avoid delays, duplications and omissions.
Where do I find Saint Mary's statistics that are required for my proposal?
The Saint Mary's Fact Book provides a wealth of information you may need.
May I apply for funding for a course release?
If the funding agency allows it, you may ask for both salary and benefits costs for the time you dedicate to a grant-funded project. Your dean's approval is required prior to applying for release time for the grant, to ensure appropriate workload allocation. If the grant is approved, the salary and benefits funds would be available to fund the release time.