Saint Mary’s School of Economics and Business Administration (SEBA) graduating seniors were celebrated in front of teachers, family and friends this May at the 2014 Baccalaureate Celebration.
Brother Dominic Berardelli’s invocation at the top of the ceremony called for graduates to find purpose in their days. “May the education, knowledge and skills you received here at Saint Mary’s find true fulfillment and keep you ever aware, in everything you do, that knowledge comes from learning, and all wisdom comes from God,” said Brother Berardelli.
Honors students and members of several academic fraternities—Sigma Beta Delta, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Alpha Mu Alpha—received their cords to be worn during the graduation ceremony from their department chairs, directors and advisors. Outstanding students were also bestowed with department awards. The winners of these honors were:
- Tiffany Gill--Brian Thomas Cleveland Medal in Finance is given to an Honors finance student with an outstanding scholastic record, leadership qualities, and a high probability of success in the financial services field.
- Erick Buckalew-- Henry Rand Hatfield Award for Excellence in Accounting, named for the noted humanist, scholar, and accounting educator, also the first full-time accounting professor in the United States, the award is given to a graduating senior with an outstanding scholastic record as an accounting major.
- Jonathan Russell--Stan White Award for Excellence in Accounting, named in honor of the founder of the accounting program at Saint Mary’s, is given to a graduating senior with an outstanding service and academic record as an accounting major.
- Daniel Bailey--Earl W. Smith Award for Excellence in Business Administration, named in honor of the a famous Bay Area contractor, former regent of Saint Mary’s, and founder of the Earl W. Smith Endowed Chair in Business Administration, is given to a graduating senior with an outstanding scholastic record as a business administration major.
- Brandon Knaus--Adam Smith Award for Excellence in Economics, named in memory of the Scottish philosopher and economist, is award to an economics major with an outstanding scholastic record.
- Katherine Wahl--Brother U. Jerome Griffin Highest SEBA Achievement Award is named in honor of the revered Brother Jerome Griffin, who was a professor of economics and dean of the School of Economics and Business Administration for 14 years. It is given to a graduating senior with an outstanding scholastic record.
“Our students are graduating with a stronger sense of ethics, justice and humanity,” said Dean Zhan Li. “They’re prepared to be conscious, thoughtful leaders. We wish them well in their future endeavors and welcome them to the thriving community of Saint Mary’s College alumni.
Master of ceremony for the evening and Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs and Accreditation Larisa Genin echoed those sentiments, saying, “These students will honor us through their future accomplishments.”
More photos from the Baccalaureate Ceremony are available here.