• UNDERSTAND sociological theory and methods and be able to apply theoretical explanations to empirical examples.
• RESEARCH and analyze a sociological topic using the appropriate library resources.
• WRITE research papers with a clear thesis statement, sufficient support for that thesis, and in accordance with the standards of the American Sociological Association.
• EXERCISE their sociological imagination in order to reflect upon questions of personal and social responsibility in a complex and changing society.
• APPLY sociological knowledge as they engage with the community beyond the academy.
• EMPLOY critical reading, thinking, and writing skills as they research, analyze, and report on a social issue in a way that incorporates what they have learned on a topic of their own choosing.