First-Year Housing

First-year housing applications for the upcoming academic year is currently live! Please note that you will need to have your SMC username, password and SMC student ID# to access the online application.

When can I apply for housing online?

Incoming first-year housing applications is currently live.

*If you will be transferring to Saint Mary's College for January/Spring terms, you will need to have your SMC username, password and SMC student ID# to access the online application.

The Housing Application Process

If you have any problems with the first-year application, please refer to this housing guide.

Where do I submit my application?

To apply for housing you must login to your and select StarRez 

Am I considered a first-year student?

For housing purposes Saint Mary’s College considers you a first-year student if:

  • You graduated from high school the previous May/June.
  • You graduated from high school prior to the previous May/June, however you have not earned any college credits.

If you have earned college credits you are considered a transfer student and you should review the instructions for transfer students.

How is housing assigned?

Incoming first-year students will log into their online housing application through the StarRez housing portal to select their own room. Further information and guidance will be emailed to students about the room selection process.

Please note that there is a very limited number of singles available for first year students, so please plan on having a roommate or two. Also, preferences are not guaranteed and will be based on what is available at the given appointment time.

Am I required to live on campus?

All full-time freshman students (16 years of age and older) are required to live on-campus. Students may apply for an exemption to this requirement. All freshman who are under the age of 16 will need to fill out an exemption to living on campus as Saint Mary's does not permit students under the age of 16 to live on campus.  Please be advised that, because of the strong foundation that an on-campus experience provides for new students, few exemptions to the live-on requirement will be approved. "Financial concerns" and "distance from home to campus" typically are not reasons for an exemption. Students who anticipate having difficulties with college expenses, including housing costs, should contact the Financial Aid Office (925 631-4370) for determining eligibility for assistance with the cost of attendance. Additional information and the appeal form can be found below. 

Download the Housing Exemption Form >

Forms and Billing

Completing the Residence Hall and Dining Services License

The License Agreement is a legally binding document that covers the terms and conditions of living in Campus Housing at Saint Mary’s College. This Housing Contract is built into the online housing application you will complete at Orientation. Be sure to read through all the terms and conditions in the license below and save a copy for your records.

The Housing Licence is included in the housing application via the StarRez Housing Portal.

For current room and board rates, please refer to Tuition and Fees.

What's a housing Pre-Payment and when do I pay it?

The non-refundable $350 Housing Pre-Payment secures a room assignment on campus. This non-refundable Pre-Payment is included in the initial $650 deposit that first-year students pay after committing to Saint Mary's. In subsequent years, the housing Pre-Payment is seperately paid after participating in the housing selection process.


PDF icon First Year HSG App - How To.pdf722.86 KB