Frequently Asked Questions

Your FAQ's are answered here.  If you do not find the answer you're looking for, please feel free to contact us!

How do I complete the Residence Hall and Dining Services License?

The License Agreement is a legally binding document that covers the terms and conditions of living in Campus Housing at Saint Mary’s College. It is binding for the entire academic year.

The on-campus housing process has moved online! The Residence Hall and Dining Sevices License has been embedded into the online application. By completing an Online Housing Application through StarRez, you would have read and signed this page of the application, you have agreed to the terms and conditions of the housing contract. 

How do I pay the non-refundable housing pre-payment?  

You must pay a non-refundable $350 housing pre-payment in order for your application to be considered complete. This non-refundable pre-payment is applied to your fall housing charges, but is forfeited should you cancel your housing for any reason. Please note that Student Accounts may take a couple of days to process the payment before we can consider this step of the application complete, so we recommend you submit payment as early as possible.

The non-refundable housing pre-payment can be paid one of two ways. You can log onto your GaelXPress and submit an online payment. You would need to, however, call the Business Office at 925.631.4209 to inform them that the payment is to cover the upcoming year's housing deposit.

You can also submit a check to the Business Office directly or by mail.  Check payments are also accepted at the cashier window, Monday - Friday, 8:30 am -5:00 p.m. Office hours vary during the summer months. If submitting a check by mail, there will be a delay of approximately 3 or more days from the time the check is mailed to the office, received by the office, and processed. Please make the check payable to Saint Mary’s College and ensure that your name and Student ID number is on the check. You can mail the check to the below address.

Saint Mary’s College Business Office
P.O. Box 4600
Moraga, CA 94575-4600

How much does it cost to live on campus?  

Pricing is determined by the style of room you live in and type of meal plan you have. For current room and board rates, please refer to Tuition and Fees.

Why was I billed for a Double Room when I requested a Single or Triple on my license?

Per the terms and conditions of the Residence Hall and Dining Services License, all First-Year LICENSEES are initially billed by the Business Office for the Traditional Style Double Room with included meal plan.  Once a room assignment has been made by the Campus Housing Office in late July, the student's account is adjusted to reflect the current/actual room assignment and meal plan.

When do I find out about my housing assignment/roommate?

Incoming students for the upcoming academic year can log into their StarRez application online to learn their room assignment and roommate in early August.  If you are having trouble finding this information, please call the Campus Housing Office at 925.631.4241 or email us at

How does Campus Housing determine roommates?

Every effort is made to make roommate assignments based on the answers submitted on the Roommate Preference section of the online housing application. Please complete the housing application through StarRez and submit it by the deadline.

What if I don’t like my roommate?

If, after speaking with your roommate, you are uncertain if he/she will be a good match, we ask that you communicate with your potential roommate. Go to your Resident Advisor for tips on how to better connect. If after the first two weeks of school you are certain a room change must occur, you may stop by the Campus Housing Office to request a room change.

When can I change my room?

There is an official room change period three weeks into the Fall and Spring semesters. During this time residents looking to change rooms may request a room change by submitting their request in person in the Housing Office.  There are strict deadlines for this process so please contact the Campus Housing Office for more information. Once the request has been received the Campus Housing Office will notify residents of a decision via your SMC email account.

A resident looking to change rooms outside of the official room change period must first speak with their Resident Advisor (RA) or Resident Director (RD). The Office of Residential Experience will not review requests for room changes outside of the room change period until the resident speaks with their RA or RD.

How do I change my meal plan?

To change your meal plan, please submit the Meal Plan Change Request Form. You may increase a meal plan at any time, but may only decrease prior to the second week of the semester. For more information please visit the Dining page.

How is class standing defined?

For housing purposes, class standing is not defined by academic credits, but by graduation date from high school and years enrolled in college.

What if I don't want to live on campus but I am a First-year?

You should complete the Freshman On Campus Residency Requirement Policy Form, and return it to the Campus Housing Office, or to the Dean of Students in writing.

What if I need special housing accommodations?

All student accommodations, including but not limited to, registration, housing, and classroom accommodations are extended through the office of Student Disability Services. Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact the Student Disability Services Coordinator at (925) 631-4164 to set up a confidential appointment to discuss accommodation guidelines and available services.

What is the housing cancellation policy?

Students must contact the Campus Housing Office in writing to terminate the Residence Hall & Dining Services Licenses. Please contact the Housing Office for semester deadlines for cancellations. Housing and Meal Plan charges cannot be cancelled or credited until written notice has been received by our office.

I will be studying abroad but would like to live on campus when I come back.  When can I apply?

Students returning from Study Abroad during the Spring semester interested in campus housing for the Fall semester should apply during the Room Selection process.  You must designate a proxy to select your room for you at the Room Selection event. You should send an email to to indicate when you will return from abroad.

Students who plan on Studying Abroad during the Fall semester interested in campus housing for Jan and Spring semesters should also send an email to to indicate when you will return from abroad and request to be placed on the Housing Wait List.

What if I get locked out of my room or lose my keys?

You can go to the Housing Office and request to borrow or replace your keys.  When borrowing a key from our office, you have 24 hours to return keys. If they are not returned within the 24 hours, they are considered replacement keys and there is a $50 charge per key.

**Please Note: All Students are given ONE lockout per semester gratis. Each additional lockout will be $25**

Where do I go when I am locked out?


If you are locked out, here are the methods of gaining access to your room:

Mondays - Fridays between 8:30am - 4:30pm > Campus Housing, Mondays - Fridays + Weekends > Public Safety,
Mondays - Fridays + Weekends between 8:30pm - 7:30am >  Resident Advisor (RA) on duty

Something broke in my room, what do I do?

Complete a work order online or call Facilities directly for immediate assistance at 925-631-4286.

How do I get my SMC Username and password?

In your welcome packet you will find your specific SMC username and password.  Your username and password is required to log on to the My Saint Mary's portal where you will access your SMC email and other services.  If you are having difficulty finding the information or logging in, you may contact Information and Technology Services (ITS) at 925-631-4266.

Can I stay in my room during breaks?

Residence halls are closed only during the Winter break but remain open during other college holidays. This means that all students living in residence halls must leave for the Winter break by 5:00 pm on the last day of the Fall semester and will not be allowed to return until the weekend before the start of the Jan or Spring semester. While students will not have access to their rooms, you may feel free to leave any belongings in the space if you know you won't need it during the break and don't want to transport it home. If you need to stay beyond the 5:00 pm deadline, arrangements need to be made with the Campus Housing Office in advance.

What is in my room?

  • Desk
  • Chair
  • Extra-long twin bed
  • Waste basket
  • Lockable Closet
  • 3 - drawer dresser
  • Phone (landline)
  • Ethernet Connection (bring your own ethernet cord)

For examples of a typical double room set-up, please view photos on the Campus Housing Facebook page.

What do I pack?

Here is a list of items to bring with you to campus. Keep in mind that you will be sharing a room with another person (or two!), so be sure to coordinate with your roommate(s) about what you will bring. Additionally, if you have a single room, you will still have limited space.

  • Bath towels, Flip-Flops, & a shower caddy full of supplies
  • Alarm Clock
  • Bed linens (Size: Extra-Long Twin, 39” X 80”) & pillow
  • Small desk lamp (no Halogen Bulbs)
  • Computer & ethernet cord for high-speed internet connection
  • Laundry soap & a small basket or portable hamper
  • Mini-Ironing board or wrinkle-release spray
  • Extension cords & Surge Protector power strips
  • An umbrella or rain coat
  • A small fan for hot days
  • Milk crates or stackable shelves for storage
  • Flashlight
  • Clothes-but not your entire wardrobe, as space is limited!
  • Headphones to respect Quiet Hours
  • Clip-on-Light for reading in bed
  • Dry Erase Board
  • Camera, plus pictures from home
  • Email List- so you can freely communicate with your family & friends
  • Removable decorations to personalize your space
  • A Television
  • A Cell phone-Sprint or T-Mobile provider receives best service

if you'd like to rent a microfridge or need storage or shipping services, you can view offers from our partners here!

What should I leave at home? 

Here is a list of items that are not allowed in campus residence halls because they pose a risk to the health and safety of the students. Possession of these items in your room will result in a Student Code of Conduct violation. 

  • Sources of open flame (i.e. candles)
  • Incense
  • Hot plate/coffee maker
  • Electric blankets
  • Space heaters/air conditioners
  • Additional furniture
  • Nails and paint (i.e. permanent decor)
  • Halogen lamps
  • Pets
  • Weapons (i.e. pocket knives)
  • Drugs, alcohol, and paraphernalia


How big is my room?

We do not supply room measurements or floor plans because the rooms vary in size.  Our room types consist of single, double and triple accommodations.  For examples of a typical double room set-up, please view photos on the Campus Housing Facebook page.

Can I come see a room this summer?

Due to our busy conference service program, our halls are occupied during the summer.  However, you may contact the Admissions Office  at 925-631-4224 to schedule a tour and view a showroom set-up specifically for visitors.

What is the Student Code of Conduct?

The Undergraduate Student Handbook is also known as the Student Code of Conduct.  All residents are encouraged to familiarize themselves with its contents. Many frequently asked questions are answered there. Also, when residents sign the Residence Hall and Dining Services License, they acknowledge their responsibility for abiding by the policies and procedures outlined in the handbook.

PDF icon Housing License 2017-2018.pdf598.16 KB