Here are some FAQ's about Student Conduct.


What happens if I don’t come to my assigned meeting time?

The conduct hearing officer or panel will make a decision in your case without the benefit of your input.

Do you notify my parents if I violate the Student Code of Conduct?

Parents may be notified if you are under 21 and involved in an alcohol and/or drug violation. We notify your parents because they are an important partner in helping you to be a successful student at Saint Mary's College.

What if I didn’t realize or know that I was breaking College policy?

As a responsible member of the SMC community, you are expected to familiarize yourself with the Undergraduate Student Handbook and the Code of Conduct. You may download a copy of the Handbook from our webpage. We do not recognize lack of knowledge as an excuse for violating a policy. Reasonable and appropriate behavior will generally help you to avoid violating College policies.

Can I have someone come with me to my hearing?

Students have the option of choosing an advisor to accompany them through the discipline process and can be anyone the student chooses: either from a list of trained Advisors at the College or otherwise, including an attorney. The advisor is obligated to maintain the confidentiality of the nature of the allegation(s), the content of the student discipline process, and the privacy of the complainant, respondent, and any witnesses known to the advisor.  Students are strongly encouraged to choose an advisor to assist them in the discipline process; however, it is the student’s decision as to whether to seek an advisor and, if so, who that advisor will be.

It is important to note that the advisor is not an advocate for the student in the proceedings and may not address the hearing body, or speak on behalf of the student regarding the discipline matter with other members of the College staff. The advisor may speak with the student privately and in a manner that is not disruptive to the hearing or discipline process. The respective student’s advisor may be present at any time which the student they are advising is meeting with the hearing body or other member of the College staff regarding the discipline matter and at which the student wishes them to be present. 

What are the potential consequences for my conduct?

If you are found responsible for violating the Student Code of Conduct, you will be asked to complete a series of educational sanctions. These sanctions are designed to help you succeed in the future, to allow you space and time to reflect on your decisions, to connect you with appropriate resources, to learn something new, and to protect the College community.

What if I don’t complete my sanctions?

You may be asked to have a second hearing with your conduct officer and/or fees may be placed on your student account.

What if the incident happened off campus?

The Student Code of Conduct applies to behavior off campus if it adversely affects the College community, poses a threat to safety of persons or property, or damages the institution’s reputation or relationship with the greater community.

Will this appear on my academic transcript?

Only incidents resulting in expulsion will appear on your academic transcript. However, Student Code of Conduct violations stay on your conduct record and are kept for four (4) years after a student graduates.

Who has access to my conduct record?

According to FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act), only you have access to your conduct record unless there is an immediate threat or danger or there is a legitimate "educational need-to-know". You may sign a waiver to allow someone else to inquire about your record, but ultimately, the Office of Community Life will decide if and when information must be released. 

I want to appeal my decision, how do I do this?

You have five (5) business days from the date of your decision letter to initiate an appeal. An appeal letter must be submitted in writing to the Office of Community Life along with the Appeal Form.  The letter requesting an appeal must be very specific and clearly state the reasons for the request.