Passports and Visas

You'll need a passport and visa when you go abroad - some helpful information can be found here


A valid passport is required for you to depart the US and to return! If you have not yet applied for one, please do this immediately.

 A passport costs $110 for adults and is valid for 10 years. If you have one, but it will expire prior to 6 months after your anticipated return date, you need to renew it before you leave. You should anticipate the processing of your passport application to take the full eight weeks.   For more passport information and a list of agencies in your area, check out The U.S. Department of State passport information page.

If you need your passport immediately, is a free service that may be able to help you out. To obtain a passport you will need:

  1. a notarized copy or original birth certificate
  2. a check or money order for $110
  3. a valid driver's license or state ID
  4. a completed passport application form
  5. two 2"x 2" official passport-sized photos (which you can get at the post office, any pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens, Mailbox etc).  Please note: a photo printed from your computer will NOT work- it needs to be an official passport photo.  Usually passport-sized photos cost around $12 for 4-6 photos.  Save any left over passport photos- they will come in handy for additional paperwork like applications and student IDs.

For more detailed information go to:


Visas are documents that allow you to enter another country and remain there as a visitor for a specific amount of time. Not all countries require them, however every country requires you to gather documentation that you will need upon arrival in your host country.

The visa is the responsibility of each student. Please do not wait until the last minute to try and get your visa! Research the process ahead of time and be prepared to apply for your visa as soon as you receive your acceptance letter from your host program. If you have any questions, please ask the Center for International Programs. For students not traveling on a US passport, please check with your local consulate to find out what is required for you to study in another country.

For updated visa information, foreign entry requirements and links to consular web pages, please visit The U.S. Department of State visa information pages.