THE UNKNOWN FROM THE KNOWN: A ONE-DAY POETRY WORKSHOP with BRENDA HILLMAN
In poetry, the mystery of the soul, the mystery of the outer world and the mystery
of pure language encounter each other. When we start a poem, it is often without a
clue where we will go and where we will end up. How do we trust the process of
writing poetry in such a way that we can proceed through early drafts, knowing that
the process may not deliver anything in a single sitting? How should we trust the
poem to open rather than close for a reader who may want an encounter with the
mysterious, or who may want a straight-forward rendering of a single subject? How
do we represent feeling—intense and interesting—in such a way that the feeling
is not betrayed? We will open some of these questions by looking at examples of
poems that proceed from sound, image, complex idea or situation, including work by
Dickinson, Duncan, Guest, Roberson and Celan. Participants should come with an
open mind toward different aesthetic traditions. In this one-day workshop, we will
(1) discuss poems in the morning; (2) talk about courage techniques—entering the
composition process with openness; (3) generate notes drafts in the early afternoon;
and (4) share what we have written in a way that might lead to other writing after the
workshop. We will discuss the different kinds of meaning a poet can deliver, through
form and original language.
Only 12 seats available
Cost: sliding scale donation to "MFA Scholarship Fund" at $150-$500
Payment can be made by check or money order made out to Saint Mary's College of California and mailed to:
MFA Program, Creative Writing
Saint Mary's College of California
P.O. Box 4686
Moraga, CA 94575
*In the memo field of your check please enter "MFA SCHOLARSHIP"
Credit card payments are also accepted:
- Please visit http://wwws.stmarys-ca.edu/forms/giving-to-saint-marys/make-your-gift/index.html
- Select "Direct My Gift to a Specific Area"
- Click "Select Department/Program and Enter Gift Amount"
- Enter amount and select "OTHER" button
- In the description field you must enter "MFA SCHOLARSHIP"
Schedule for the Day:
- Two hour morning seminar (10:00-12:30)
- Lunch break (included with donation to register) and one hour free-write (12:30-2:00)
- Two hour workshop (2:00-4:00)