Major Learning Outcomes
Learning Outcomes for Theology & Religious Studies Majors
As part of the program, TRS majors will meet learning outcomes in three areas (Core Curriculum; Content; and Skills). Specifically, TRS majors will . . .
CORE CURRICULUM ("Theological Understanding")
1. Meet the learning outcomes for both "Christian Foundations"* and "Theological Explorations"** of the Saint Mary's College Core Curriculum:
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the Christian theological tradition through an exploration of specific topics in theology and the Bible;
3. Demonstrate an understanding of how Christian thought and/or practice has developed in a specific historical period;
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the worldview (e.g., beliefs, practices, etc.) of a non-Christian religious tradition;
5. Demonstrate an understanding of the implications of the Catholic concept of the fundamental dignity of the human person;
6. Demonstrate an ability to employ contemporary theories and methods of theology and/or religious studies in analyzing religious beliefs, texts, and/or practices;
7. Demonstrate an ability to explain, analyze, and evaluate multiple informed perspectives in debates about theological and ethical issues;
8. Demonstrate an ability to evaluate the interplay between religion and social, cultural, and/or political phenomena.
*The "Christian Foundations" learning outcomes are met in TRS 97: "The Bible and Its Interpretation."
**The "Theological Explorations" learning outcomes are met repeatedly in upper-division TRS coursework.